Go East young man - An Olympic athlete....

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by diego garcia, Jul 21, 2008.

1. So today I shot some promo work for Larry Godfrey, Team GBR Olympic Archer who is off to China at the end of the week.

Three flash guns and the D3 with various lenses.

A very likeable bloke who has been described as the Kevin Pieterson of Archery. When I asked him about this he said " Maybe Kevin Pieterson is the Larry Godfrey of cricket !!!"

Lets hope he gets gold this time around. He missed a medal by one point at Athens 2004.

Made the best of the location today. I mean how do you set up a flash shoot in a field with the target 70 meters away? I figure, well the bloke spends 70% of his time here so lets use it in context and get the job done.

And if you are wondering, when he drew the arrow in my direction for my art, yes, I felt the fear!!!!

Finally, the bow is something else, carbon fibre, very accurate with all sorts of gubbins. This is where science meets sport but still requires a deft hand.

2689719470_76552d0db0.png

View attachment 225189

View attachment 225190

View attachment 225191

View attachment 225192

View attachment 225193

View attachment 225194

2. Like the last one best as it really brings in all elements of the sport. Good story too, sounds like the when an interviewer described Rodney Marsh as the white Pele he replied "Pele is the black Rodney Marsh"

3. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    Very nice. There's something about the 2nd to last one I find intriguing. I love shooting a bow, but my target usually has four legs.

4. I like those!! There is something about the first two and the last two in particular that make them intriguing. Since I haven't shot with a bow in decades I'm sure I can't relate to how good this guy really is, but your shots sure make him look good, and there's a sort of quiet intensity about him too.
    :smile:

5. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Nice Shots
    Is that Ian Poulter's Brother

6. Spot on - he is so patient, restrained and in control on the field but a real player off it. Very nice bloke and a pleasure to shoot. Hope he gets the gold. A for how good, well fourth in the world at the last Olympics so not too shabby !

7. I thought that too - both real characters.

8. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Excellent!

9. violation

violation

Jul 22, 2008
    USA
    i really like the first shot!