Go Over Your Website Before You Publish It

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Carole, Jul 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carole

Carole

Jun 15, 2008
    Bellingham, WA
    Lately, I have been looking at a lot of photography websites to check out other's work. I'm amazed at the depth of some people's talent and the amazing photos I've seen.

However, one of the biggest turn offs are websites that have typos, commas in the wrong place, and misspelled words. There is nothing less professional that having the wrong word, wrong grammar, misspelled words, etc. Get a teacher to go over your site. We see mistakes right away :smile: You wouldn't believe how many errors I've seen while looking at photographer's websites.

Your website is your professional image to the world out there. Make sure it's the best it can be.

Carole

2. JessP7

JessP7

May 3, 2005
    North MS, USA

Would that happen to need to be "photographers' websites"? lol :biggrin:

Totally messing with ya! Hope you don't take it the wrong way.:smile:

3. Carole

Carole

Jun 15, 2008
    Bellingham, WA
    Yea, that's what I get for typing fast :)

4. PhotogWannabe

PhotogWannabe

Mar 19, 2007
    BC
    More messin' with you coming up. Spell checking isn't always going to pick up grammatical errors. (Another retired teacher on the case!!) :biggrin:

5. Dr A

Dr A

Feb 2, 2008
    State College, PA
    It's a sign of a crippling society when we rely on computerized spell checking. Bill Gates' worst prank ever was to invent a program that would correct your errors AS YOU TYPE!

6. I have often wondered if there is a way to make money proof reading websites. In my opinion, not only are spelling errors bad, but also sites that are written in colloquial terms. In other words, written the way we speak, which usually doesn't read well.

7. dx379

dx379

Jul 9, 2008
    Tulsa, OK
    I edit my friends website as a side gig. And boy does he keep me busy!! It drives me insane seeing all the mistakes that pop up everywhere. For certain people, me being one of them, a mistake just jumps out of the page at you!

Jonny

8. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    LMBO!

9. Spell checkers are sometimes hillarious when "change" is selected without exercising our human brain. We have a major account vendor with whom we do millions of dollars of business, and each time their name comes up in spell checker, it suggests replacing their company name with "Varmint." :biggrin:

10. I agree! Bad grammar is very unprofessional!

11. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    And what do you know, I got an email notification the other day from Nikon Cafe that had my name as 'Mia', as in: Thanks, Mia, yada, yada, yada. I checked the original response on the Cafe, and my name had been typed in correctly! I'm guessing the Cafe uses a Thread Subscription tool that corrects spelling?

12. Americans can't spell. :eek::biggrin::wink:

Ronnie

13. ok

I am a little biased as one of my pet peeves is people who look for grammatical/spelling errors in things :wink:. I understand with spell checkers, etc, these things should be kept at a minimal, but as long as a persons work is good, I can look past these things - it's one thing if they are marketing themselves as a writer/journalist it's another if they are demonstrating their photographic/arts skills. Just a different perspective.

14. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Here hear!

:biggrin:

15. we can sew spell !

16. Bright Angel

Bright Angel Guest

I use the FireFox spell checker to make sure I've spelled everything correctly :rolleyes: :biggrin:

17. LDB415

LDB415

Apr 26, 2008
    Texas
    I would point out to you how flawed your thinking is and how crippling it is to individuals to expect education and intelligence. You should know that in many places teachers aren't allowed to grade with a red pen anymore because it damages the psyche of the frail little children. I'd point out how much better off we'll be when we accept intentions rather than results. But we're not allowed to engage in discussion outside the realm of focal lengths and apertures so I'll just agree poor performance is disappointing without commenting.

18. When it comes to web sites, time is always of the essence. I have done quite a bit of web work myself, and maintaing sites can be frustrating and time consuming, when you spend 90% of your time coding, fixing problems, etc sometimes something as simple as spelling can be an after thought. It's not to say that I don't agree with your statements, but people tend to attempt to publish things on the web in a much faster manor with less QA/QC. When it comes to the web, i just want quick, fast, easy to find results so I can overlook spelling.

19. Eye halve a spelling chequer
    It came with my pea see
    It plainly marques four my revue
    Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a work
    And weight four it two say
    Weather eye am wrong oar write
    It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
    It nose bee fore two long
    And eye can put the error rite and
    Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
    I am shore your pleased to no
    Its letter perfect awl the weigh
    My chequer tolled me sew.

Best & Thanks
    John

20. I am going to say something controversial here:

I am with Carole on this... and I am not even a native speaker! Using the wrong grammar and leaving in spelling errors as enormous as confusing "there" with "their", or "too" with "to", and using "should of" instead of "should have" (an all time low, in my opinion) really shows the lack of understanding of the language and amounts to little more than a phonetic transcription of the spoken word. Call me elitist if you must, but I made the effort to learn this language, and I think the natives should do too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.