Goal-kicking action collage

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by Clivegriff, Feb 20, 2005.

1. [​IMG]

This collage consists of four shots put together in PhotoShop CS using the crop tool and layer masks.

D70 + Sigma 170-500; 1/1000s; f/6.3; 500mm.

One of the main errors that would-be goalkickers make is to have their non-kicking foot too far back. As you can see, this lad has his non-kicking foot exactly where it should be - at the side of the ball.

It occurs to me that a similar set-up could be useful when attempting to analyse one's golf swing. Not that mine would bear analysis; a thing of beauty it ain't - but it gets me there...eventually!

2. That's an excellent action sequence, Clive, with some find Photoshop work. Looks like you're still infatuated with your Bigma.

3. Thanks, Frank.

I love the Bigma. I can't hand hold it - but I love it! :lol:

With the aid of a budget sector monopod I get along just fine.

4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Hi Clive!

That's a cool sequence you've put together, and until I took at it for a long while, I didn't know it was the same guy. Tell me though, (this is a joke), how do you know for sure if your horizon is level, since they're all leaning so much, and the lines on the field are diagonal? ;)

5. Re: Hi Clive!

Yes, they're all the same guy. :) I focussed on the ball while he was measuring his run, put my thumb on the little button that holds focus and exposure, recomposed and fired off a burst as soon as he made a move.

Good question. There were factors later cropped out that helped straighten the horizon. And the lines are not actually diagonal but are similar to the ones in grid-iron although not as frequent.

During the post-match drinking session there was some serious leaning going on, I can tell you! :D

6. Clive, this is such a neat image. I don't see how you can get the arms to overlap the body of the next image. Obviously I would have a steep learning curve to do this. Nice colors and sharp images. Excellent.

7. Thanks for the kind words, Gordon.

The beauty of layer masks is that they're non-destructive - you can return and tweak them later. They are not quite as steep a learning curve as you might think. Believe me, if I can learn how to use 'em - anyone can!

8. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Clive,

Wow, we're learning already from you!

I was convinced it was the same person but couldn't believe it totally because of the overlapping arms. That's good stuff !

Sure enjoyed this sequence picture and hope everyone on this forum gets to see it.

Gaye

9. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Of course if he was Australian then the kick would have gone over. :D

Really nice sequence though Clive and you're right it can be a useful way of analysing things.

Neil

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very cool shot(s) Clive. Seems that every new Café member brings unique talents, and makes us all richer. :p

Regards,

Frank

11. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Ooo that's such a good picture - the overlap/underlap parts are perfect! So is the overall composition.

12. Hi Gaye

I'm pleased you liked the pic. I enjoyed putting it together - both from the photographic and the Photoshop point-of-view.

13. Ooh, Neil, you know how to hurt a feller! :lol:

14. Thanks, Frank.

It's great that we can all learn from and encourage eachother.

15. Thanks for that, Chris.

I wasn't too sure at first because sometimes his right arm overlaps his left and sometimes his left overlaps his right.

But my wife (aka SWMBO - She Who Must Be Obeyed) said it was fine as it was, so I left it.