God and Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by Rick Waldroup, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Let me state that I have no religious affiliation whatsoever. I shot the "Thunder Over Texas" motorcycle and car show rally, last September. It is an unusual event that attracts thousands of bikers from all over the country by mixing motorcycles and religion. It is a Christian based biker event that features a motorcycle and car show, live hard-rock Christian bands, several well known speakers and ministers, and LOTS and LOTS of leather.:wink:

The event is organized by the Jerry Savelle Ministries International. This is the fifth year that he has organized the event and the first time that it was held in Granbury, Texas. Granbury is 35 miles SW of Fort Worth. I shot two cameras, a D1x and a D2H with a varitey of lenses. If you want to see all of the photos, go here http://www.pbase.com/rangefinderrick/thunder_over_texas&page=1

View attachment 87989

This is early Sunday morning. That is Jerry Savelle on the main stage. The sermon is like a rock show, complete with a live rock band, complex stage lighting, and a motorcycle made into a pulpit.
    View attachment 87990

View attachment 87991

View attachment 87992

View attachment 87993

View attachment 87994

View attachment 87995

View attachment 87996

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2007
  2. GastheerG

GastheerG Guest

Nice report! #5 and #8 are my favorits

3. Excellent series Rick............... must have been some great sounds with the music and those gorgeous bikes! :biggrin:

G

4. Thanks GastheerG and Graeme. I thought it was interesting as #5 and #8 are a couple of my favorites out of all the shots I did.

Graeme- I've never been to an event quite like this one. There was some really, really good hard rock bands and the atmosphere was very relaxed. Still, it was a bit of a surreal scene, especially when the minister started "saving" people and also baptizing people in the local lake.

It was an interesting and fun shoot.

5. very good series Rick Thanks for sharing.

6. Seth

Seth

Jun 6, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Wow, that's great. Thanks for sharing these. Remember any of the names of the bands that played the event?

7. Thanks Raul and Seth.

Seth, 2 of the bands that I remember are "Rock For the Ages" and "Sons of Thunder." In particular, Rock For the Ages, were really, really good. They did some killer covers of some Zeppelin tunes.

8. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    Funny , I guess were on the same page . 5 & 8 for me too.

9. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    This looks like a great event. I'd loved to have been there! We try to start the riding season with one of the "Annual Blessing of the Motorcyclists". Here is a shot of my wife and me aboard our custom "HOG" at the blessing service:

141365634-L.

10. Now, that is one cool shot, John.:cool:

And that hog is simply awesome.

11. Very well done Rick

12. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Thank you, Rick! I did all the work except for the paint. Sent the parts to Colormania in CA - they are awesome!

13. Thanks Dave.

Yep Biggs, I probably get more response on #'s 5 and 8 than I do most of the other shots from that shoot. In fact, #5 of the girl and guy and the motorcycles was published in a small urban arts/political magazine last year. Their theme for that issue was "Rituals."