God and Motorcycles

R

Rick Waldroup

Let me state that I have no religious affiliation whatsoever. I shot the "Thunder Over Texas" motorcycle and car show rally, last September. It is an unusual event that attracts thousands of bikers from all over the country by mixing motorcycles and religion. It is a Christian based biker event that features a motorcycle and car show, live hard-rock Christian bands, several well known speakers and ministers, and LOTS and LOTS of leather.:wink:

The event is organized by the Jerry Savelle Ministries International. This is the fifth year that he has organized the event and the first time that it was held in Granbury, Texas. Granbury is 35 miles SW of Fort Worth. I shot two cameras, a D1x and a D2H with a varitey of lenses. If you want to see all of the photos, go here http://www.pbase.com/rangefinderrick/thunder_over_texas&page=1

66423507.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 87989

This is early Sunday morning. That is Jerry Savelle on the main stage. The sermon is like a rock show, complete with a live rock band, complex stage lighting, and a motorcycle made into a pulpit.
View attachment 87990

View attachment 87991

View attachment 87992

View attachment 87993

View attachment 87994

View attachment 87995

View attachment 87996

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rick Waldroup

Thanks GastheerG and Graeme. I thought it was interesting as #5 and #8 are a couple of my favorites out of all the shots I did.

Graeme- I've never been to an event quite like this one. There was some really, really good hard rock bands and the atmosphere was very relaxed. Still, it was a bit of a surreal scene, especially when the minister started "saving" people and also baptizing people in the local lake.

It was an interesting and fun shoot.

Wow, that's great. Thanks for sharing these. Remember any of the names of the bands that played the event?

R

Rick Waldroup

Thanks Raul and Seth.

Seth, 2 of the bands that I remember are "Rock For the Ages" and "Sons of Thunder." In particular, Rock For the Ages, were really, really good. They did some killer covers of some Zeppelin tunes.

This looks like a great event. I'd loved to have been there! We try to start the riding season with one of the "Annual Blessing of the Motorcyclists". Here is a shot of my wife and me aboard our custom "HOG" at the blessing service:

141365634-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

R

Rick Waldroup

Now, that is one cool shot, John.:cool:

And that hog is simply awesome.

R

Rick Waldroup

Thanks Dave.

Yep Biggs, I probably get more response on #'s 5 and 8 than I do most of the other shots from that shoot. In fact, #5 of the girl and guy and the motorcycles was published in a small urban arts/political magazine last year. Their theme for that issue was "Rituals."

Latest threads

Top Bottom