Godox = "GOOD-ox"

Real Name
Andy
After my last big portrait shoot, I decided to phase out my Nikon and Yongnuo speedlights. Now, my on-location strobe kit is mostly switched over to Godox (a.k.a. Flashpoint) and I am happy to report that the system is simply outstanding. And it didn't break the bank. I went with one used AD200 and one new V860ii speedlight, and another used V860ii plus an XProN transmitter to go in the hotshoe. I also picked up a couple X1RN receiver units to use with my studio strobes (via sync cables) and perhaps with the two off-brand speedlights that I decided to keep. I believe the V860ii can be used in the hotshoe as a master but I have pretty much stopped mounting any lights there, except for the occasional run-and-gun bounce application (which doesn't involve other lights, obviously). Initial testing reveals:
  1. Radio triggering from any reasonable distance (I've triggered from as much as 25 meters away in a different room with no line of sight, but I'm pretty sure that's nowhere near the limit)
  2. TTL
  3. HSS (FP in Nikon-speak)
  4. Remote adjustment of manual flash power settings (power output of off-brand units via the X1RN cannot be modified remotely (as expected)
  5. Remote selection and de-selection of any Godox-branded flash
  6. Excellent life from the Godox rechargeable batteries
One "aberration" in operation is that off-brand units triggered by an X1RN do not seem to be remotely de-selectable (they fire whenever the transmitter sends a signal, regardless of group selection). If anyone knows differently, I'd love to hear how they have solved this minor problem (other than turning off the X1RN or the unit to which it is connected).

Bonus: Godox modifiers are extremely affordable compared to Westcott and other name-brands.
Bonus #2: Instructions written in "Chinglish" by Godox are slightly more comprehensible than those from Yongnuo.

As good as they were (and are), I'm pretty sure I will not be yearning for my old Nikon speedlights.

I have nothing to gain if anyone buys or tries Godox products - just sharing the info in case anyone is in the market.

Real Name
Chris
I use 2 V860II speedlights and a single AD400 as my keylight with a commander unit. They are simply amazing little units.

Real Name
Andy
My location setup is three Godox AD-360s. They are as powerful as my studio monolights and much easier to manage. Great product.
Luke,
I looked through a few of your images - do you do many background replacements? I'm thinking about adding that to my repertoire and I'd be curious to hear your opinion about how often your clients are interested in that option.

Real Name
Andy
I use 2 V860II speedlights and a single AD400 as my keylight with a commander unit. They are simply amazing little units.
Chris,
I guess I presumed you were mostly shooting as an ambient light artist (and I really like your work). I'd be interested to learn more about what you're doing with strobes.

Real Name
Chris
Chris,
I guess I presumed you were mostly shooting as an ambient light artist (and I really like your work). I'd be interested to learn more about what you're doing with strobes.
Nothing too crazy, just some standard portrait work and the occasional product shoot.
76FD1DEB-2A7F-4FB4-8631-75BF8FBA28B0.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
AC226D8A-A166-4AEE-B297-82CCD0820AF6.jpeg

Real Name
Andy
Nothing too crazy, just some standard portrait work and the occasional product shoot.
Very nice examples, Chris. My paid work is mostly portraits also, and the wide variety of Godox strobes do seem to hit the sweet spot for price and performance. How often are you finding the need to use full power from the AD400?

Real Name
Chris
Very nice examples, Chris. My paid work is mostly portraits also, and the wide variety of Godox strobes do seem to hit the sweet spot for price and performance. How often are you finding the need to use full power from the AD400?
I don’t think I’ve ever needed to use full power on it yet. Even on this shot when I was shooting into the sun at sunset with a low angle of incidence I dont recall needing full power on it and on this shoot it was the only light I was using.
77956388-66CC-44FD-A974-17F0944E3AD6.jpeg

Latest threads

Top Bottom