Going 100% Mirrorless

Real Name
Andy
Having recently sold my D750, which was truly redundant ever since getting the Z 6 two years ago, I had been holding on to the D500 for its superior AF performance. Lately, I have grown better at shooting within the AF capabilities of the Z 6 and Z 7, and have left the D500 at home more and more. The TC-14 achieves nearly the same results in FL as the crop factor, with only a slight loss in IQ.

I've just experienced a moment of courage and listed my D500 for sale. Am I making a mistake?

Real Name
Aaron
I switched to a Z6 from a D750, and the Z system has been nothing short of amazing, far better than the D750 and a wide variety of F-mount glass. Even for sports!

I haven’t used a D500, so maybe I don’t know what I’m missing... 🤨

JLH

Cameras, like most any tool, have personalities, strengths and weaknesses. The key is finding the model that best suits you and what you want it to do. I have several cameras and find while I like them all, I have yet to find the one perfect one. I have recently added a Z50 ( I am well involved in DX) and I like many things about it but am not yet ready to start dumping my D500, D7200, etc. Same goes for my D750, I still find it meets my needs. I am just a hobbiest and don't shoot nearly as much as many here so my experience is different than many. I play with a wide range of subjects from birds to airplaces to landscapes, marco, night sky and more. Maybe that is why I like having different bodies. I suppose I am more an experimenter than an artist. I do know that one day I will likely add a FF Z model, but not yet.

Real Name
Andrew
I’m ready to go completely mirrorless, but am in no hurry. Once I can get a mirrorless version of the D500, I’m good.

all my secondary systems are mirrorless, just patiently waiting for Nikon to get there. I’m thinking 2022/2023 may be it

I’ll still probably keep my Nikon Df, just for the pure love of it and the versatility of being able to mount just about every f-mount lens.

I dumped my D850 last summer, and have not regretted it yet. Sure, I shot a lot less than you do, but Z6 and Z7 are mighty good to me.
My D850 is now in my daughter’s capable hands since I bought the Z7ii. However, I’m still using my D5 for all of the sports shooting I do.

Real Name
Maurie Hill
I have a stunningly sharp Sigma 170-500 that I bought in Japan 12 years ago, it won’t AF on the FTZ, SO i’m keeping my D810 just for the motorsport work I do with the Big Sig. My Z7 is the 95% go-to. Maybe when grandma Nikkor finally produces a big Z zoom I’ll join the final exodus.

Real Name
Andy
Once I can get a mirrorless version of the D500, I’m good.
I also felt that way, but my current thinking is that since I'm not shooting sports much these days, and my paid work doesn't require the AF capability of the D500; selling it to bank money for either the Z 90 or a Z-mount telephoto seems attractive. Either of those would render the D500 obsolete in my kit.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom