Going 100% Mirrorless

Real Name
Andrew
I’m holding out to see what happens with my photo business. Trying to determine what is going on with its future.

depending on how I go, I could keep it or drop it.
still undecided.

Currently I’m hanging onto my D500 purely for birding. Of the mirrorless bodies I use, I find Olympus would be a good replacement for the D500, but its still not there with regards to locating small birds in scrub via the EVF.
One thing I am noticing is how far behind the opposition Nikon is becoming with inbuilt smarts. It’s almost like they are wanting to make life difficult for users. I’ve been out at night recently taking a lot of photos in the dark. Besides the lack of a timer on the LCD, or programable Bulb mode, the small LCD panel on the top of the Z body remains illuminated which is not only causing light pollution, it’s also annoying.
I will eventually go 100% mirrorless, but before I invest heavily into Z glass I will be evaluating other FF systems.

I've just experienced a moment of courage and listed my D500 for sale. Am I making a mistake?

I had been 100% mirrorless for 5-6 years, through Olympus MFT, Fuji X, a Z7 and now a Z7ii. Prior to this I was a Nikon film SLR and DSLR shooter since being a H.S. yearbook photographer. However, I love and missed shooting SLRs/DSLRs. Love the ergonomics, optical viewfinder, solid feeling and the "clunk" sound of prosumer/pro Nikon DSLR bodies.

Two years ago I bought a previously-owned D500 to help capture action photos of my very active grandchildren as well as to simply have a DSLR again. Love this camera as much as my Z, just for different needs. Overall, I shoot the Z7ii 90% of the time (or more) and also love doing so.

No doubt that Nikon will introduce a future Z that will exceed the technical performance of my D500 someday, but I am planning to keep it. I know that I will still crave the joy of the DSLR experience from time to time.

Real Name
Rodney
I am in a similar situation. I'm contemplating replacing my aging 70 to 200 VR one. I have a D 800, D 300, and a Z6. I could get the E version, so that I can use it with my dSLR bodies and adapted to the Z6. But I would guess my next new body would be another mirrorless, so maybe it makes more sense to get the Z mount version. Just thinking...

Currently I’m hanging onto my D500 purely for birding. Of the mirrorless bodies I use, I find Olympus would be a good replacement for the D500, but its still not there with regards to locating small birds in scrub via the EVF.
One thing I am noticing is how far behind the opposition Nikon is becoming with inbuilt smarts. It’s almost like they are wanting to make life difficult for users. I’ve been out at night recently taking a lot of photos in the dark. Besides the lack of a timer on the LCD, or programable Bulb mode, the small LCD panel on the top of the Z body remains illuminated which is not only causing light pollution, it’s also annoying.
I will eventually go 100% mirrorless, but before I invest heavily into Z glass I will be evaluating other FF systems.
Richard,
You can turn down the brightness of the control panel on top of the camera or even turn it off if you like. Go to "Setup Menu" and then to "Control Panel Brightness" and you have a selection of "Auto", "Manual" or "Off".
As for programmable Bulb Mode, I am not sure what you mean by programmable Bulb mode. Do you mean you can set a timer for bulb? I don't think that is accomplished with any Nikon DSLR, but the new Z6II and Z7II allow for up to 900seconds (15 minutes) of long timer and if you need longer you do have to time the Bulb mode via a stop watch. I've never wanted longer than a few minutes and using my phone for longer than 15 minutes.
Lack of timer on the rear (?) LCD? Do you mean a count down timer for long exposure, ie showing how many seconds are left for the timer to end the exposure? I don't think that is possible but that would probably be a good idea! However, if I ever need longer than 900seconds of the inbuilt long exposure time, I would use my phone timer and that accomplishes both timer and how long I have left! If you use Snapbridge via your phone, you have it out anyway. ?

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
I'm on the fence. For most things where I use mainstream lenses I have gone mirrorless. My 14-30, 24-70 and 24-200 do a great job.

But I only have a long 75-200 and 100-400 in F mount so I will keep my D810 for these two lenses.

for my set of shift lenses, I am undecided. On the tripod my Nikkor PC 28, 35 and TS24mm work nicely with my D810 without any adaptors, but hand holding my shift lenses with the great IBIS in the Z7 is an interesting avenue that opens for interesting possibilities where tripods are forbidden.

Richard,
You can turn down the brightness of the control panel on top of the camera or even turn it off if you like. Go to "Setup Menu" and then to "Control Panel Brightness" and you have a selection of "Auto", "Manual" or "Off".

Thank you Lance, I will check that out and change the settings tonight.

As for programmable Bulb Mode, I am not sure what you mean by programmable Bulb mode. Do you mean you can set a timer for bulb? I don't think that is accomplished with any Nikon DSLR, but the new Z6II and Z7II allow for up to 900seconds (15 minutes) of long timer and if you need longer you do have to time the Bulb mode via a stop watch. I've never wanted longer than a few minutes and using my phone for longer than 15 minutes.

I only have a Z6 and Z7 neither are the Ver II. I'm not sure if that option is available.
Canon have it on a number of their bodies. You set the time and press the shutter, and the camera will release the shutter once the time has completed.
The Z6 & 7 have a Time mode, which is next to Bulb mode. The shutter needs to be pressed at the start, and again to finish the exposure.

Lack of timer on the rear (?) LCD? Do you mean a count down timer for long exposure, ie showing how many seconds are left for the timer to end the exposure? I don't think that is possible but that would probably be a good idea! However, if I ever need longer than 900seconds of the inbuilt long exposure time, I would use my phone timer and that accomplishes both timer and how long I have left! If you use Snapbridge via your phone, you have it out anyway. ?

With Fuji, and Olympus, when you open the shutter in Bulb mode a clock appears on the LCD so you don't need any other gadgets for checking the exposure time.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post Lance.

Real Name
Mike
I'm not ready to go mirrorless because I'd have a hard time parting w/ my 24mm f1.8ED and 35mm f1.8ED. I like their smaller size and the picture quality of these lenses very much. And I find my D750 a fine camera for what I do. I like my camera kit quite well with the only change I've considered is swapping out my 180mm f2.8EDIF for the 70-200 f4, but I don't feel any urgency to do so.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom