Going for a bat walk on Friday - any advice?

The local Friends of Wandsworth Park are organising an evening bat walk this Friday.
We will have bat detectors.
I was thinking of taking my new D7200 and try to catch some pix of the bats.
Has anyone tried?
Is it doable?
Any tips?
I am someone who struggled to take pictures of hummingbirds in Anza Borrego in plain daylight with my D7000, so I may be a lost cause :)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Is this just a walk through the park? Then the bats will probably not be very close. Without using flash and a way to entice the bats into a given area, it will be very difficult. Perhaps just enjoy the outing.

Is this just a walk through the park? Then the bats will probably not be very close. Without using flash and a way to entice the bats into a given area, it will be very difficult. Perhaps just enjoy the outing.
I believe it is a just a long walk through the park, detectors and binoculars will be provided.
You might be right, as this is my first walk (the FoWP organises 6-8 walks a year), I might just leave the camera at home this time around.
Very sensible advice thank you so much.

Update: the walk only took place last night.
It was very enjoyable and we tracked many bats in park and along the river.
it would have been difficult to take good pictures of the bats as they fly too fast in the dark, it was a walk and flashes are not allowed.

I shot bats in Costa Rica with a 5 flash setup. I had 2 well respected guides so I hope the lights didn't other the bats. It's very hit or miss with maybe 10% hits and it was in the jungle at night and did I say it was hot and humid like Houston X 2. But it was fun (to think back about it)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Well done.
The bats here eat insects so they never stop in flight, massive challenge.
I was not up for it, especially without flash.
And the prospect of using expensive camera gear in the park at night is asking for trouble.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom