Going lightweight with camera, lenses, lighting, and now, backdrops

I'm a big fan of lightweight gear, which is why most of my work has gravitated to u4/3.

I currently use a background stand and 10x12' muslin backdrop for location work, which is all I do. Nice results, but its a giant pita to set up and tear down for individual portraits, so I've purchased a collapsible backdrop. It's a beauty, and will make my job much easier. Well, it's easy to set up, but I'm struggling to grasp the technique to fold it up. :redface: I've turned to youtube for instruction, and came across a hilarious "instructional" video, which mirrors my efforts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Let-h0wPIrc&feature=fvwp

I have a couple of 5x7 backdrops just like that and struggle the same way - every time. :biggrin: No matter how many times I watch the instructional videos, I end up looking just like that. Then, all of a sudden it comes together and folds as it should. Guess that's half the fun!

I have a collapsible hunting blind I use as a photography blind and have the same problems. As Dee said it suddenly comes together. Not sure what I do differently when it works.

I watched the video and I laughed so hard it reminded me when I had a fold up sun shade for my car, I never could get it to fold up so I tossed it.

Phil........:smile:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Can you imagine how embarrasing it would be to go on a paid portrait session and not be able to fold the backdrop? I'm not taking it out of the house until I master the damn thing.

My wife tried it, and folded it up on the first try. She doesn't understand what the fuss is all about.

Rob Zijlstra

A Koffie Drinker
Can you imagine how embarrasing it would be to go on a paid portrait session and not be able to fold the backdrop? I'm not taking it out of the house until I master the damn thing.

My wife tried it, and folded it up on the first try. She doesn't understand what the fuss is all about.
Only one solution then! Ask her if she will accompany you as your assistent. I know this might create a marriage crisis, but for photography no price is too high:biggrin:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Eureka! After a little practice, I was able to fold the reflector on the first try 10 times in a row! :biggrin: I have a shoot next week, and I'm all set.

There are dozens of ways of doing it, but this video worked a charm for me. No twisting required. Just raise my hands, and it twists itself.

Nancy was impressed. :wink:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom