Going manual focus.

Hi all,

I'm really keen on the Zeiss 135mm as it gets raved about all the time. My only concern is the manual focus. I have D700 and the Sigma Art 50mm and have been practising manual focusing but struggle to get a really sharp focus even though it looks pretty spot on in the view finder.

My question is do you think a manual only focusing lens is easier to focus then an Auto switched to manual. Also is there and option to let you know when you have focused correctly through the the viewfinder. Manual focus is all new to me.

I was contemplating the Nikon 135mm f2 DC but to me the images all look slightly soft when looking on forums.

Thanks. Paul

Cheers Larry. You learn something new everyday :)

I can imagine that being really good for still subjects but an absolute nightmare for 2 kids running around but I'm sure with practise it would get easier.

Cheers Larry. You learn something new everyday :)

I can imagine that being really good for still subjects but an absolute nightmare for 2 kids running around but I'm sure with practise it would get easier.

You asked if there was something to indicate when you were in focus. You got your answer. Whether it's useful for your needs is a separate issue.
In the old days sports photogrpahers managed to do their jobs with manual focus. The focusing screens in their cameras were more suitable for the task, though.

Larry

In the old days sports photogrpahers managed to do their jobs with manual focus. The focusing screens in their cameras were more suitable for the task, though.

Spot on! Also, when manual focus was the only game in town we were much better at using it and less driven by the instant gratification that auto focus promised, and consequently we were more patient too.
And some of us were younger :eek::rolleyes:

Latest threads

Top Bottom