Going Micro Four Thirds...

I've decided to go m4/3s for my walk-around kit! I was considering the Fuji X100, but I like the interchangeable lens option. I'm selling off my remaining DX glass to pay for it. Anybody else using micro four thirds or going small?

Last edited by a moderator:
All of these smaller cameras have my attention. A compact adjustable camera system of high quality would be very useful for me. Think digital Leica (size, quality) at a nikon price. I have my eye on the Fuji, but I'm not sure if the lone lens option is for me.

The rumor mill is churning out all kinds of interesting possibilities:

1) The upcoming Olympus E-P3 is supposedly a "pro" model, and should be built like one. (In addition to all the other goodies, such as an Olympus image sensor, dual CPUs, etc., etc.)

2) The second camera to follow the Fuji X100 is supposed to be a simpler version for people who don't frequent camera forums like us. After that, rumor has it that an interchangeable lens version will be coming out.

If the new Oly has some kind of viewfinder, be it an EVF or OVF, I would find that very easy to buy into because I already have a pretty decent assortment of MFT lenses. An interchangeable lens X100 clone would also be very attractive, although the handling needs to be better IMO.

If I was both equally tempted and funded, I'd look hard at the Lumix GF2 and a bunch of "fast" glass for it. As it stands, I really want a Fuji X100 for my personal p/s and a Lumix ZS10 for my wife.

All of these smaller cameras have my attention. A compact adjustable camera system of high quality would be very useful for me. Think digital Leica (size, quality) at a nikon price. I have my eye on the Fuji, but I'm not sure if the lone lens option is for me.

I'm basically getting tired of hauling my DSLRs around. I use them for work, but I really need something more compact especially now that I have a kid. It was no problem when I was a bachelor, but it's getting to be a chore having to pull out the big boys, especially since I'm in none of my own family photos! I tried going with a compact DSLR, but the anemic viewfinder is too small for me after using FX and I figure if I'm going small, using the LCD to compose photos shouldn't be a problem.

I think I may give the GF2 a try and see how I like it. I tested the NEX-5 and GF2 side-by-side and I really like how the GF2 felt in hand. I'm not too worried about having a smaller sensor either, I have a full compliment of DSLR bodies and glass to cover that end if need be. I was even considering getting a fancy compact like a G12 or P7000, but I wanted a bigger sensor than the typical P&S sensor. The NEX-5 was really tempting, but just looking at Sony's 18-200...I figure I might as well get a DSLR with the size of their lenses!

I'm still tempted by the X100, but this camera also has be used by my wife...and when I showed her the Fuji, she just rolled her eyes and said it looked old! :tongue::biggrin:

Lastly after seeing this thread, the amount of geeky customization you can do to an m4/3 camera sold me! :wink: :tongue:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threads/647741-Compiled-Info-Cool-accessories-for-EP1-2-GF1-and-other-m4-3-cameras

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm basically getting tired of hauling my DSLRs around.

This is where I'm at. I haul my laptop and computer to and from work daily and it's getting to be a real drag. I would love to have a simple camera and haul out the big guns when needed. I would like to get a body and lens or two in the $1,200 - $1,500 range. I'll put off my purchase till the fall of this year so i hope more reviews and posts such as this help me to narrow down the best system for my needs.

I'm basically getting tired of hauling my DSLRs around.

This is where I'm at. I haul my laptop and computer to and from work daily and it's getting to be a real drag. I would love to have a simple camera and haul out the big guns when needed. I would like to get a body and lens or two in the $1,200 - $1,500 range. I'll put off my purchase till the fall of this year so i hope more reviews and posts such as this help me to narrow down the best system for my needs.

I bought an Oly Ep1 last year with kit lens. Very good IQ and decent size but not compact. Since then I added the Nikon lens adaptor and 40-150 lens regular 4/3 with m4/3 adaptor. This is all I need most time for snapshots.

The lack of VF bugs me some in bright daylight but then in body IS is a positive. Low light pretty good to 1600 ISO and RAW are also pluses where focus speed and burst are cons.

The prices are dropping so fast, that I recommend waiting as much as you can to get the features you really want. Try to borrow one to see if anything will annoy you in long run.

I got my wife a Panny G10 kit last year and liked it so much that I picked up a GH1 myself :)

Since then, we've added a few more lenses - 45-200, 20/1.7, Oly 9-18 - and a Nikon adapter which lets me use my 50/1.2 AIS on the GH1 - very cool!

I use the m4/3 gear when I want to travel light. IQ is excellent and the GH1 is fun to shoot with! I do appreciate the EVF, proper grip, and built-in flash, though. I don't think I could live without a viewfinder.

Cheers

Mike

Ive owned a GF1 and I now own a Fuji x100.

A small high quality compact is a must have for any photographer.

It wont replace my d300s though

I think I may give the GF2 a try and see how I like it. I tested the NEX-5 and GF2 side-by-side and I really like how the GF2 felt in hand.

Hi Jonathan,

I'd look for a used GF1. It's less gimmicky and handles much better than a GF2 IMO. I think the general consensus is that the GF2 was a step back from the GF1 for any serious photographer.

I jumped on m4/3 very early with G1 and E-P1. Sold the G1 because I dislike panasonic color. I really like using adapters for Nikon and OM lenses.

I jumped on m4/3 very early with G1 and E-P1. Sold the G1 because I dislike panasonic color. I really like using adapters for Nikon and OM lenses.

yeah that sounds cool too, using some of my Nikon glass on the M4/3... just waiting on the EP-3 announcement/specs to decide :).

I have always had a P&S for very light carry along when a DSLR would be too much. I tried several, the last one being a Canon G10. It was OK, but I knew I was not really satisfied.
Enter the M 4/3. Some time ago I got an Oly E-PL1 and it has been a love affair from day one.
No, it does not match what I can do with a D3x but it is an awesome compact camera that always comes along on business trips and the like.
To complete the idea of small, light, good IQ, I bought a Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 lens for it (40mm equivalent in 35mm). An awesome go-to easy carry along package (did some nice shooting in Chicago again with it last week).

I have always had a P&S for very light carry along when a DSLR would be too much. I tried several, the last one being a Canon G10. It was OK, but I knew I was not really satisfied.
Enter the M 4/3. Some time ago I got an Oly E-PL1 and it has been a love affair from day one.
No, it does not match what I can do with a D3x but it is an awesome compact camera that always comes along on business trips and the like.
To complete the idea of small, light, good IQ, I bought a Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 lens for it (40mm equivalent in 35mm). An awesome go-to easy carry along package (did some nice shooting in Chicago again with it last week).

Yeah I have the same thing with compact P&S. I just feel they are TOO small and lacking control (I hate Auto, I want an Aperture or Shutter-priority with decent control). I always carry a bag with me, be it my messengerbag or backpack... But a D300s + 30mm 1.4 is still a bit "too much" at 1350 grams (17-55 is around 1650 grams...).

An EP-1 + 20mm 1.7 is around 450-500 grams which is much much lighter to carry everyday...

Canon S95. Dual control rings, raw, and super small. Also no need to change lenses in the field.

Yeah I have the same thing with compact P&S. I just feel they are TOO small and lacking control (I hate Auto, I want an Aperture or Shutter-priority with decent control). I always carry a bag with me, be it my messengerbag or backpack... But a D300s + 30mm 1.4 is still a bit "too much" at 1350 grams (17-55 is around 1650 grams...).

An EP-1 + 20mm 1.7 is around 450-500 grams which is much much lighter to carry everyday...

Handy, I agree, but especially the IQ is miles ahead of what I ever experienced with a P&S. No rival to a top DSLR, but very good.

yeah that sounds cool too, using some of my Nikon glass on the M4/3... just waiting on the EP-3 announcement/specs to decide :).

I like to use my 80-400, 105dc, and 60mm macro lenses. The 80-400 becomes an 800/5.6 and I can add a TC for reach. Great for moon shots. The 105 becomes a 210mm f/2 with IS. Love the color and bokeh. The 60 acts like a 120mm macro for bugs and flowers.

My OM lens collection consists of 28/2.8, 50/1.4, 100/2.8, and a 200/5 for compact prime kit. All take 49mm filters, and they all have very few elements. The f/1.4 glass needs to be opened up to about f/2 to reduce veiling flare.

For native m4/3 lenses I have the Oly 14-42 kit lens which collapses, and the Oly m4/3 40-150. I really like the 40-150 for the money.

I did the same thing and still have the G10 but it became the family camera so the wife and kids can use it. What I found was that I could get a P&S with ok image quality but the lenses were never long enough for me. Looked at the super zooms which had the reach but image quality was not good enough for me. The Sony NEX system would be good but they lack lenses and I dislike the ergonomics.

The 20mm is a good lens but its an odd effective focal length for me. Not long enough for headshots and not wide enough for indoor use. Rumor is that Oly is coming out with a 12mm f/2 which may fit my indoor needs.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom