Going to Airshow... need some advices

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Flyfishdk, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Flyfishdk

Flyfishdk

Nov 1, 2006
    Denmark
    Hi all

Tomorrow am I Going to an airshow. the biggest in Europe this year. I have only been shooting an airshow ones, last year.

I just want to get some advices from more experienced shooters on how to get the best results.

My gear is:

2x D200
    sigma 120-300 f/2,8
    sigma 70-200 f/2,8
    TC1,4
    sigma 24-70 f/2,8
    sigma 18-50 f/2,8 macro
    sigma 10-20

I recon that the main setup will be with the 120-300 and the TC. Right?? shut I bring another cam and some of the other glas or just the little light 18-50?? The big setup is heavy enough.

What setup do you use on your cams? tripod?? read somwhere from a very skilled aviation photographer that he used tripod. Seams strange. do you use monopod??

sorry for all the Q but I just want to get it right and not standing there tomorrow thinking why did I not ask...

2. Bill K

Bill K

Jan 29, 2006
    Reno, Nevada
    I would use the 120-300 and the 18-50 like you said, I am not a fan of using a TC at an Air show because it will slow up the lens. I would shoot in AF/C and auto iso 800 just incase you need it and shutter priorty. I always shoot RAW.
    jmo

3. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    It depends on how to close you are to the action. If you are right on the flight line then the 120-300 without TC might must be the right combo, otherwise you may need the TC., and on the sigma the 1.4 TC will not get in the way of focus speed to bad since it is a 2.8 lens. It is a quality lens and will do a nice job.

for props keep your shutter speed between 1/300 and 1/500 and your prop blur will work out fine, on jets, of course keep the shutter as high as possible. Panning smoothnly is they key on the slower shututer with prop planes.

I shoot all airshows now handheld, the tripod gets in the way for panning. A lot of folks like and use the monopod, and it is probably the best for most folks.

On my D200 I shoot all airshows at ISO 200. I keep the camera set to aRGB and saturation + and sharpening high and shoot raw and if I need fast prints these settings work well when converted to JPG too. I also set the focus to AF-C, 5 fps, I used to shoot JPG only at airshows to keep file sizes down and processing speeds intact, but with NX I have now switched over to raw for everything except photo journalism for the local paper.

good links here with info and settings and panning techniques

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=85586&highlight=settings

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=91418&highlight=d200

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=95358&highlight=airshow

a huge page with hundreds of pics here:

http://homepage.mac.com/wadedowdy/PhotoEvent/PhotoAlbum71.html

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  4. Flyfishdk

Flyfishdk

Nov 1, 2006
    Denmark
    Hi Bill & Wade

Thanks for the advices.

Wade: I'm looking forward to try to use all the techniqs you have wrote about in the threads. Thanks

I will of couse post the results later...

5. Flyfishdk

Flyfishdk

Nov 1, 2006
    Denmark
    Time: 0510 AM
    Task: Danishairshow
    ETA: 3hr

yes... this is about.......very early in the morning.. I will leave with my Dad in 15 min for the biggest Airshow in Europe this year.......YEEEEEHAAAAA :)