Going to Atlanta

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tgrove, Jun 30, 2008.

1. tgrove

tgrove

Apr 6, 2008
    jupiter florida
    Is there any must go places to shoot?

I am already going to the Atlanta zoo and botanical gardens. I will also be going to Anna Ruby falls.

Any suggestions?

2. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    Around Atlantic Station (downtown Atlanta) is nice. It's one of those new residential/commercial hybrid communities. You have some great views of the high rises at night, too.

Aside from that, the whole area around Olympic Park, Coke, Underground, etc is very photogenic. Urban sprawl is VERY bad around Atlanta, so hopefully you will have a car available. Otherwise, logistically speaking, the city is very travel-unfriendly. MARTA works, but is far less intuitive than other urban areas (NY, DC, Boston, etc). Then there is the whole nightmarish traffic situation! Definitely good to do your research before to decide where you might want to go...

Oh, and don't forget the aquarium. It's supposedly one of (if not THE) best aquarium in the US right now. I haven't been yet...

3. tgrove

tgrove

Apr 6, 2008
    jupiter florida
    this is not my first time there. It is however my first time with my new "eyes". I have not traveled with my camera yet. I will have a car, and that alone will save my butt.

4. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Assuming you're driving (it's not that far from Florida, after all) consider yourself lucky. I've heard from multiple sources that Atlanta is an absolute disaster to fly into (at least from Europe) with multiple baggage and security checks before you can leave the airport.

5. tgrove

tgrove

Apr 6, 2008
    jupiter florida
    its not bad at all, i flew in last year and I am flying out this year. I ll let ya know. I am not expecting to much. Now that I said that i just shot myself in the foot!

6. I'd second the Aquarium - definitely worth a vist.

Atlanta has a great skyline in the early evening.

7. tgrove

tgrove

Apr 6, 2008
    jupiter florida
    I have been to the aquarium 4 times and loved it everytime. Not going this time though.

8. KayB

KayB

Aug 17, 2007
    Puyallup, WA
    I know Olympic Park was already mentioned, but I'll add that its great at night. The fountains are really fun to photograph. Especially the Olympic rings. Kids will be running around in the water. There are also some opportunities for nice reflections in a couple fountains.

9. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    About that night stuff in Atlanta - SERIOUSLY...
    Atlanta is a beatiful city at night (imo, prettier at night), but if you are downtown (where most of the stuff mentioned is located) you REALLY need someone with you watching over your shoulder. Crime is BAD there. Even in the nicer looking areas. It's worth the effort, but keep the car handy, and keep someone watching your back...

10. Ewout_vB

Ewout_vB

Feb 6, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Yea I live right downtown -- it can be pretty bad. I was stuck with a few friends a few weeks back in a car with a dead battery that we couldn't jump start at 3 in the morning @ North Ave and Spring street while AAA couldn't confirm whether a tow truck driver was available -- Lovely. :biggrin:

I've actually yet to do any photography downtown, just because I haven't found any spots where I feel safe at night with a camera worth as much as it is. But, I'm definitely going to do some night photography this upcoming fall.

11. Yellow River Game Ranch off of 79 in Stone Mountain.

Stone Mountain

Any of the many incredible houses in Buckhead

You said you are going to Ruby Falls so Lookout Mountain and Rock City are right there as well. Both great spots. I have never done it but I am sure Lookout Mountain would offer some incredible night shots.

Barnsley Gardens