Going To be in Orlando, Fl

Real Name
Tony Saya
I am planning on taking a day to myself to shoot some wildlife, birds, landscapes etc. Any suggestions on locations from our Florida members would be appreciative. I would like to keep the driving to a minimum say an hour or less from the Orlando area.

Thanks for all your assistance

Gatorland is prob the closest for you.
Breeding and nesting season going on.. Good time to shoot birds there.
For other stuff , I have no clue:>))
Disney and Seaworld

Real Name
Tony Saya
Thanks Jeff that map is pretty neat been checking out the sites do you happen to know where Merritt Island is? I could not find it on the map

There is very little activity at the merritt island wildlife refuge and the veria wetlands right now.
The other active place would be the St Augustine alligator farm. There is a
rookery there. With alot of breeding and nesting birds.

Tony,
Be sure to contact RonW (REGGIE). He knows every good place in the area to shoot. He lives in Parrish, Florida. I know the Venice Rookery is a good place for you but don't know how far it is from Orlando. It's in Venice so you can look that up on the map. I go up there from Fort Myers often and plan to go up next Thursday, 12th. The rookery is always covered with nests, chicks and parent birds..many fly in and out so easy to get birds in flight.
Also ask Ron about the rookery. He will know what's going on there now.

I went to Gatorland while in Flordia, and it was great for shooting. Lots of gators, and birds. I would recommend itaswell.

I did the merrit Island thing aswell.. it was ok. But it was almost a month ago now when I was there.

Enjoy your trip

Real Name
Walter Rowe
I was there in February. If you have time, go just north of downtown Orlando to the Henry P. Leu Gardens. I also recommend touring downtown Orlando. It is completely different than the Disney and Seaworld areas. There is a really nice lake on the east side of downtown Orlando that is set in a park that completely surrounds it. Downtown Orlando has a neat, old train depot and an old merchantile exchange that make for interesting architecture photography. You can park in one place and walk all over downtown. It isn't that large, but is much more urban than one might expect. Another interesting piece of architecture is the Orange County Convention Center on International Drive.

I was there in February. If you have time, go just north of downtown Orlando to the Henry P. Leu Gardens. I also recommend touring downtown Orlando. It is completely different than the Disney and Seaworld areas. There is a really nice lake on the east side of downtown Orlando that is set in a park that completely surrounds it. Downtown Orlando has a neat, old train depot and an old merchantile exchange that make for interesting architecture photography. You can park in one place and walk all over downtown. It isn't that large, but is much more urban than one might expect. Another interesting piece of architecture is the Orange County Convention Center on International Drive.

I drove by the Convention Center a few times since we stayed donw on I-drive one night. The place is MASSIVE, and your right, a pretty neat looking place.
The old train station... is that church street station ??? I belive I have heard about it before.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Yes, that is Church Street Station. The merchantile is right across the street, and there is a very neat, old, crosswalk over the street. The iron railing is a really nice accent that dates the whole structure to a specific era.

You can look me up most Mondays at Gator Land (Have Mondays off from work) I am the guy wandering around with a Nikon Camera :)tongue: ).

Seriously St. Augustine is a wonderful place to shoot, downtown is a architectural photographers dream. Lots of old buildings and horse drawn carriages.

There is the Callisto De San Marco a coastal defence fort of the third system well worth a visit.

:smile:

Real Name
Walter Rowe
I second the St. Augustine recommendation. I didn't get a chance to go through the fort, but downtown is beautiful and easily walkable - including Flagler College. Beautiful architecture all around town. This time of year should be really nice too. I visited there in the month of July and it was blazing hot.

Real Name
Tony Saya
Thanks folks for the responses we are leaving Tuesday assuming we can get out. Syracuse is expecting a NorEaster. It's hard to believe snow in April after Easter but That is Syracuse.

We are going to try the Gardens, and try to get to St Augustine and to the Gator Farm. My better half has been to St Augustine before and liked it We are going to be there for a week so we have some time to travel a bit.

Thanks for all your help

Latest threads

Top Bottom