1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Going to California...

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Sandro Bravo, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal
    Hi guys,

If all goes well, I should be going on a surftrip (as the photographer) for a local magazine, heading to California by the end of this month….we should be staying in Orange County, but we’re planning on going to shoot on both LA and San Diego.

Going to the USA is something I’ve been wanting to do for a while and mixing it up with what I like to do is even better….if any of you guys are from that area and can give me a few hints on points of interest (I’ll be shooting lifestyle too, not just surf action…) like restaurants, nightlife (clubs), etc, I’d be thankfull.

We’re also checking places to stay (rent) and a couple of the guys that are going with me already have a few contacts in O.C., but if any of you know of something that can accommodate 6 to 7 people, just let me know, since we’re still checking prices.

Thanks.

P.S: it wouldn’t be a proper post with at least a couple of shots…:biggrin:

original.

View attachment 246719

More stuff: http://www.pbase.com/slbravo/surf&page=all

2. shoot me a PM, maybe I can help you out once you're in town.

3. Do a web search for so cal surf reports. There's quite a few sites.

I'm from the No San Diego Co area: keep an eye out Swammies in Cardiff.

Late summer isn't really the best surf time of the year here but you might get lucky.

good luck with your trip
    JohnG

4. Be careful if you go to Surf Rider Beach in Malibu. The idiotic locals who live there have beef with the paparazzi, and several fights have broken out. Malibu locals are a bunch of spoiled, rich lazy brats though. You might be mistaken for a paparazzo especially with that 500 you have!

5. rlacy

rlacy

Apr 22, 2007
    San Diego
    Sandro-

I live in San Diego. Don't know much about surfing, but the Gaslamp section of San Diego is great nightlife--clubs, restaurants, bars, etc. Also, Balboa Park is a photographer's paradise. Beautiful building, gardens, pools, flowers, trees, museums, galleries, etc. Plentiful photo opportunities.

I think you will have a good time. Checkout www.signonsandiego.com for information on home/vacation rentals.

Have a great time.

Ron

6. Huntington Beach is nicknamed Surf City, names of famous surfers on the street, gotta check those out.
    In Newport Beach there's a beach area that is nicknamed the Wedge by locals that surfers & body borders frequent when the waves are right.
    Enjoy your stay here in the OC.

7. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal
    Hi guys,

Thanks for the hints. Surf-wise, i'm pretty well covered since i already did my homework on that and a couple of the guys i'm going with know that area already, at least some parts.

It's the "after-surf" activities and enviroment i want to check before going, since part of the work will involve life-style shots.

As far as the paparazzi issue is concerned (thanks for the tip, Jonathan), it's good to know that in advance, though my 500 won't be leaving the beach. When shooting outside the beach i'll also be with other 4/5 guys (and i'm also taller than average, ex-paratrooper, etc :biggrin:)  so i should be ok.

When i have all confirmed, i'll post it here and who knows, i might even buy some of you guys a cold beer. :smile:

P.S: the weather in late September is still good ? Warm and sunny ?

8. Weather in late September should be sunny as usual. Just make sure to dress in layers. LA tends to be hot in the day and cools down by night. If you plan to do some camera shopping, http://www.samys.com off Fairfax is the biggest camera store in the city. Though I prefer to go to http://www.belaircamera.com Neither has the the best prices, but probably better priced with the Euro/US conversion. For the night scene, there are quite a few places worth checking out. Hollywood at night is always fun, especially with all the pretty ladies and interesting weirdos that come out! PM me later before you fly out.

9. awesome, sandro
    sounds like a great opportunity
    i can't wait to hear and see how it all turns out

wish i lived closer
    would love to meet you in person

10. gvg45

gvg45

Jun 16, 2008
    Los Angeles, Ca.
  11. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal
    Thanks Jonathan. I will for sure drop you a word before going there. I still don't know if i'll do any camera shopping, but the temptation will be there for sure, specially due to the rate conversion...is there anyplace where I could rent a camera ? I’m taking the D2Hs and D300 but it would be nice to test a D3 or D700 at night.

I hear you. It would be nice to check in person some of the folks from the Cafe. smile:

Thanks for the links, the St.Monica Pier seems like a nice place to check, as does the Venice Beach boardwalk…specially since I’ve already seen it on the movies. :biggrin:

12. revoke99

revoke99

Jul 26, 2008
    Marina Del Rey
    While your at it you might as well check out the getty it's free you just pay for parking..Just remember no tripod which I found out later..

13. Redondo Beach pier has some great shooting opportunities as well as Hermosa Beach pier area. The Palos Verdes coast has some beautiful landscapes that are hard to beat. Palos Verdes also has a Botanical Garden that is beautiful. (http://www.southcoastbotanicgarden.org/) You might also want to check out this thread: https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=167517

As for the weather, it is still pretty good out here in September, in fact its one of my favorite months in terms of weather.

What surf spots in LA will you be checking out? There are a bunch of small great spots in the southern part of LA where I live that can get some decent sized swells. However, it is september and it will be hard to find some good surf, the surf doesn't really pick up 'til mid fall around here...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  14. Have fun, hav'nt been to Cali. in a while.
    You should LOVE it!

Great images btw, I really miss Surfing and also need to visit Portugal!

15. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal
    Hi folks,

I’ll be heading to California next Friday, 26th September. I’lll be staying there until the 6th October, it should give me plenty of time to do my stuff.

I hope the weather is fine and the surf is pumping. :smile:

16. You might be in luck Sandro, in recent days the waves have been picking up rather nicely. I hope you enjoy your stay while you are out here. Check this website on the latest surf info: www.surfline.com

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.