Going to Jacksonville, FL, where to shoot...

Discussion in 'Special Sessions, Events, and Tour Announcements' started by snugelbune, Aug 2, 2007.

1. snugelbune

snugelbune

Mar 15, 2006
    NYC suburbs
    Ok, so we're vacationing/visiting outlaws (oops, inlaws) in Florida (Orange Park near Jacksonville) in three weeks. (Because NY isn't hot and humid enough in August, we figured we'd see what Florida had to offer :rolleyes: ) So, I always hear about Florida and great places for birds/raptor photography...can anyone from that neck of the woods tell me if there is something near to Orange Park/Jacksonville where I can go to shoot interesting feathered friends?

Thanks, I appreciate it. I'll have my 300 f/2.8 with or without a TC17, the 70-200 VR and a 50mm f/1.8 and a 24mm f/2.8 with me. At this point, those are about my only choices!

Thanks, all.

Michelle

2. yoza717

yoza717

Dec 23, 2006
    Palm Bay, FL
    I grew up in Orange Park (but I now live 3 hours south). Tons of Ospreys near the St. Johns river, Black Creek and Dr's Inlet (Along with Egrets and Herons). Take a trip to St. Augustine which is less than 45 minutes and visit the Alligator Farm. Prime time was April-June, but there are some chicks that are still learning to fly right now. Also in St. Augustine, is Anastasia State Park...Nice view of the lighthouse from there and you can get neat sand dune pics and the beach.
    Jacksonville has a great sky line and buildings and bridges are lit up at night for some nice evening shots.

3. snugelbune

snugelbune

Mar 15, 2006
    NYC suburbs
    Thanks Manny

I will print this out and ask my father in law if we can make the trip with him or if he minds us taking off for part of a day w/out him...thank you very much!

4. I second everything yoza717 said. The aligator farm seems to always have wild birds to photograph. One of the few places you can get great photos of nesting birds, and don't need real long lenses. The lighthouse is probably one of the best kept houses that I've been to.

5. snugelbune

snugelbune

Mar 15, 2006
    NYC suburbs
    Thanks Sgt. Soldier Blue

I appreciate the added info. I think I'll have to think about a wide angle to get some nice landscape shots of the lighthouse! Alligator farm, hmmm, that just sounds like something that has got to be interesting.

Really, thanks, I appreciate it.

6. trublu

trublu

Jul 23, 2007
    nyc
    You could also go down to the Landing downtown. Looks really nice especially at night with the bridge in the background.

7. snugelbune

snugelbune

Mar 15, 2006
    NYC suburbs
    John and Trublu

Thanks for your suggestions, I apologize that I didn't show my appreciation sooner. Things have been wonky with my email/internet.

John, thanks for the link, my husband liked a lot that he saw there.

Trublu, I'll check that out! So many things to do and see, Florida is going to be fun.

8. I'll second (or third) what yoza said. St. Augustine has endless photography possibilities. Even if our feathered friends aren't cooperating, there is a lot of historical scenery that begs to be shot. Again, I'll second The Landing. The lighting is very nice there at night. It's not OVERLY lit up, which can ruin some skylines.

Another park to possibly check out is Kathryn Abbey Hanna Park. Not to scenic at first, but there are a lot of wooded areas where little creatures are hiding.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.