Going to NHRA U.S. Nationals on Sat,

Discussion in 'Special Sessions, Events, and Tour Announcements' started by Steve S, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Taking my 2 teenage sons to the National Drags this Sat. Never been to anything like this before, and don't know what to expect. Checking the Saturday's schedule, it looks like the best action will be from about 1-5pm. We have pretty good seats in row 2, about 1/4 the way down from the starting line on the west side.
    If any of you have tips on what lens length to bring, or any other tips or thoughts, I'd love to hear them. I was thinking of only taking my D2X/70-200VR, and possibly a TC 1.4 in a fanny pack. Where's that David Anderson? Would love to chat with him about this, since he does this professionally. I've seen some really cool shots where the smoke coming off the tires during the burnout looked so cool, and was wondering how to do that.

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hey Steve,

Actually, shooting drag racing isn't all that tough if you have a good vantage point to shoot from. It is nice, but not necessary, to be able to shoot on a 45 degree angle to the front end (a 3/4 shot they call it) so you capture the front and the whole side. Bring a long lens and a TC to fill the frame when you choose to. One quick point, plan to stay most of the day because you want to shoot at dusk to catch the flames coming out of the headers. DON'T FORGET HEARING PROTECTION!!! The flames can only be seen when the sun is setting. Can't wait to see some of your images!!!

3. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Hearing protection is a must!

I can't help with the photography because I was always behind the wheel. :wink:

4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    HI Frank,

In looking at the schedule for the day, I don't think we're going to stay much past 5 pm. Shame, 'cause I love to capture some of the flames shooting out of the headers! I will bet I manage to get some decent "people" shots along with the dragster pics! :rolleyes: Check this out. She's one of the new female racers, Erica Enders:
    original.

5. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Well, whatever the schedule is for the races, have a great time. Check and double-check your settings so you can do your best. Can't wait to see some images whenever they are ready. And it can't be stated enough...DON'T FORGET HEARING PROTECTION!!!