Going to Shea first time

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by K.David, Aug 4, 2007.

1. K.David

K.David

Jun 11, 2007
    ny
    I'll be going out to shea next week to try and shoot the mets going to borrow a friends sigma 120-300 and I have a d200 any advice on settings would be greatly appreciated. It's a night game. Such as WB ,ISO,color mode.I have read a lot of the posts but can always use more help.
    Thanks Kevin

2. My advice would be go to a Yankees game instead, :rolleyes: other than that shoot it RAW and sort it out later so you can enjoy the game and not worry about settings.

3. the lights there should be great so get there early and do some metering...remember you need at least 1/400 to freeze the players (forget about the freezing the ball at night) so ty to limit your iso to 800 or less and get the ss you need. I would start wide open at f2.8 & maybe iso400 and see what you get. Shoot in Aperture priority or manual (but you will have to make alot of changes as the light gets worse). Another thought is shoot in Manual w/ say a=2.8 & ss=1/500 and use Auto ISO and see what the camera selects for ISO...imo blur is worse than noise

4. Hi Kevin. I've had my best luck so far at night games using the 300/2.8 on a monopod. Shooting RAW made a big difference for me as I haven't yet mastered custom WB settings. A little PP and you're WB will be fine. I find that I can get some shots before the game, players stretching, warming up, etc. (color temp 5900 seems good pre-game) using a 1.4TC. By the 2nd or 3rd inning, it comes off. I try to keep my SS at 1/500 or higher and found that when the sun was completely down, I was able to stay there or close to it at ISO 800, aperture either wide open or one stop down. For action shots such as baserunners, I found it helped to focus low, toward the bottom of the frame. And watch your histogram! Here's what I got on my 3rd try at night following the advice I picked up here:

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=122376

I'm going on Friday but will try not to shoot so I give the Mets a chance to win. Maybe I'll see you there. And don't be put off by the anti-Mets crowd here; the only thing that gets more negative reaction is if you shoot them with Canon gear!:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  5. K.David

K.David

Jun 11, 2007
    ny
    Hi Brooks spoken like a true yankee fan.But thanks I will try that I'll have to pick a larger card.
    thanks kevin

6. K.David

K.David

Jun 11, 2007
    ny
    Hi Randy thanks this is what I was looking for hopefully it will help

Tanks Kevin

7. K.David

K.David

Jun 11, 2007
    ny
    Hi Larry
    Thank you for the tips I love the shots if I can get one or two that good I would be happy.I assume you had know problem bringing a monopod in at shea.
    Thanks kevin

8. No problem, just be polite and friendly with the guards. They didn't even look at the monopod. They balked at first when they saw the 300 but when I told them I had taken it in before they let it in.