Going to Texas, Shreveport, Nashville......please suggest photo ops....

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
We will be visiting Texas the first couple of weeks (or more) in November 2021.

I enjoy photographing interesting architecture, churches, historical venues and general travel shots. I also would enjoy photographing wildlife/birds if those opportunities are available! We are traveling in our RV, so I will have ALL my gear with me! LOL! Please give me some ideas about places to visit along our route.

Tentative route is Richardson (hubby's West Point reunion....)

Then Austin - State Capitol, St Mary's Catholic Cathedral, Texas Governor's Mansion and ??

San Antonio - The Alamo, San Fernando Cathedral, St Joseph Parish and ???

Houston - 1910 Courthouse, Christ Church Cathedral, Rice University, and ??? Has anyone visited the Color Factory - if so, what did you think?

Then we head for Nashville, Tn......perhaps stopping by Shreveport, Louisiana. So any suggestions about what to see or do in Shreveport or Nashville? Caddo Lake?

THANKS!

Sounds like a great road trip! I don't have a lot of advice, however couple of points. 1. Formula 1 race in Austin at Circuit of America in 3rd week of October but the Rolling Stones will be there Nov. 20 albeit without Charlie Watts :( - maybe some other race events around the track if you are interested. 2. Lake Travis is a gorgeous suburban residential / recreational area outside of Austin. 3. I recall the Image Drs. doing birding safaris in the McAllen area.
Safe travels as always!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Sounds like a great road trip! I don't have a lot of advice, however couple of points. 1. Formula 1 race in Austin at Circuit of America in 3rd week of October but the Rolling Stones will be there Nov. 20 albeit without Charlie Watts :( - maybe some other race events around the track if you are interested. 2. Lake Travis is a gorgeous suburban residential / recreational area outside of Austin. 3. I recall the Image Drs. doing birding safaris in the McAllen area.
Safe travels as always!
Thanks, John. Hubby's reunion is giving me the chance to plan another trip! LOL! Both Santa Clara and Laguna Seca ranches offer "commercial" birding opportunities and are near McAllen. I've done Santa Clara in the spring. Right now, due to uncontrolled immigration, COVID cases are especially high and medical services are inundated in that area.

Houston has some good architecture downtown. The east side of downtown has some good murals. Rice University has some good buildings. MFAH has one of the two museums designed by Mies Van Der Rohe. He also designed the expansion but did not live to see it completed. The Rothko Chapel and broken obelisk are interesting. You cannot photograph inside the chapel. It consists of around a dozen panels painted by Marc Rothko. An interesting thing about the obelisk, Jean and Dominique De Menil were going to pay for half of its cost to have it placed in the reflection pool in front of city hall but they wanted it to be dedicated to the memory of Dr. MLK. The city balked at that idea. So the De Menils out bid themselves and the city and bought it. It was then installed as part of the Rothko Chapel. There is also an old cistern near downtown that can be toured. I have been meaning to do it but have not gotten around to it. I also enjoy Glenwood Cemetery. It has some fantastic sculptures.

When driving between San Antonio and Houston, stop at City Market in Luling. It is an interesting and good barbecue stop. You go into the pit room to order and pay for your meat. Then you go out to the seating area for everything else.

I have visited Caddo Lake State Park before. It is an interesting park. There are tour guides in the area who will take you on a photography tour. It is another thing on my to do list. I remember it being a nice park.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Houston has some good architecture downtown. The east side of downtown has some good murals. Rice University has some good buildings. MFAH has one of the two museums designed by Mies Van Der Rohe. He also designed the expansion but did not live to see it completed. The Rothko Chapel and broken obelisk are interesting. You cannot photograph inside the chapel. It consists of around a dozen panels painted by Marc Rothko. An interesting thing about the obelisk, Jean and Dominique De Menil were going to pay for half of its cost to have it placed in the reflection pool in front of city hall but they wanted it to be dedicated to the memory of Dr. MLK. The city balked at that idea. So the De Menils out bid themselves and the city and bought it. It was then installed as part of the Rothko Chapel. There is also an old cistern near downtown that can be toured. I have been meaning to do it but have not gotten around to it. I also enjoy Glenwood Cemetery. It has some fantastic sculptures.

When driving between San Antonio and Houston, stop at City Market in Luling. It is an interesting and good barbecue stop. You go into the pit room to order and pay for your meat. Then you go out to the seating area for everything else.

I have visited Caddo Lake State Park before. It is an interesting park. There are tour guides in the area who will take you on a photography tour. It is another thing on my to do list. I remember it being a nice park.
Sooooo appreciate the information! I will try to put it to good use! ;)

Sooooo appreciate the information! I will try to put it to good use! ;)
A couple more ideas. The Menil collection is down the street from the Rothko. It was the De Menil’s personal collection. It is housed in a building designed by Renzo Piano. The collection has a interesting mix of art. If you have time, the San Jacinto. Battleground is one of the big 3 Texas history sites. The other two are the Alamo and Presidio del Bahia in Goliad.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Hi Karen,

take a look to:
- Amarillo: Big Texan Steakhouse and Cadillac Ranch
- Mc Lean: Old Philipps gas station
- Shamrock: U Drop Inn restaurant and station (finest Art Deco).

Enjoy your travel
Klaus

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Nashville
  • NFL Titans Stadium (Nissan Stadium)
  • River Front Park
  • Broadway between 1st Ave and 5th Ave
  • John Seigenthaler Pedestrian Bridge
  • Country Music Hall of Fame
  • Ryman Auditorium (Grand Ole Opry House)
  • Parthenon and Centennial Park (only life size replica of Parthenon)
  • Tennessee State Capital Building
  • Bicentennial Capital Park (north side of capital building)
  • Legislative Plaza (south side of capital building)
WPR-20120830-0898.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
WPR-20120830-0888.jpg
WPR-20120830-0889.jpg

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Nashville
  • NFL Titans Stadium (Nissan Stadium)
  • River Front Park
  • Broadway between 1st Ave and 5th Ave
  • John Seigenthaler Pedestrian Bridge
  • Country Music Hall of Fame
  • Ryman Auditorium (Grand Ole Opry House)
  • Parthenon and Centennial Park (only life size replica of Parthenon)
  • Tennessee State Capital Building
  • Bicentennial Capital Park (north side of capital building)
  • Legislative Plaza (south side of capital building)
View attachment 1689020 View attachment 1689021 View attachment 1689022

Thank you sooooo much! Great suggestions! Unfortunately I've already ran out of time for the trip! LOL! BUT we will definitely see as much as we can!

Real Name
Ken
Downtown Nashville is a music town with lot of clubs and music. If you like that sort of thing, then you can get some interesting shots in the nightclubs. I thought Ryman Auditorium was worth a tour, and I would recommend a concert there if at all possible. I also toured the RCA studio and thought that was quite interesting.

Have fun and stay safe,

--Ken

Latest threads

Top Bottom