Going to try some artistic stuff ... a question:

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Damo77, Aug 11, 2008.

1. All my years of Photoshop have been focused on what you might simply call "image enhancement" - that is, making photos look clean and realistic for the various newspapers, magazines and other publications I've worked for.

I'd like to try a bit of artistic stuff. Every day on various forums I see people turning their photos into works of art, using tonemapping, or colour filters, or even just simple vignettes and lens effects. It's all new to me.

My question is; do you do all the basic correction to your photo first, before working it up into something creative? I mean, is it a good idea to achieve a nice clean photo that would be perfectly acceptable as a print in its own right, before applying artistic effects?

Or can good stuff be achieved by taking a photo that is underexposed (for example) and just going with it?

2. I depends on what effect you're going for. I've used both. Just go with the idea you have in your head, and work at it until you get what you've imagined. (just keep a log of your steps if you hope to be able to repeat it, LOL)

3. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    I've done a few but the one that I remember is this one:

CustomDoubleMat.
    It was a cruddy image with no hope of repair but since it wasn't sharp to begin with, it made a great image to do a card with.

Like said before, it depends what you want to do with it. The big thing that I do is with bad blown sky images, I try to add a blue sky with clouds.

4. Serrator

Serrator

Aug 1, 2006
    Missouri
  5. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    ...you know that first one remids me of a certain Gothic portrait...you know of the American kind.:biggrin: I like the last two.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.