Going up strong

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by Tomerrifc, Dec 13, 2005.

1. A shot from a local high school game Saturday.

D2X 85mm f/1.4 D

2. You just caught the right split-second Ty. Nice!

3. Thanks Frits. I am really trying to work out shooting basketball with the available light. Some of these gyms do not give you much to work with.

4. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Nice action shot Ty... You might try tweaking the levels a little to make it pop, but other than that great shot.

5. Nice shot.

Can you not use flash in such a situation?

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hiya Ty!

I am NOT a sports shooter, but I've been shooting my girlfriend's son's soccer team this fall, and you have grabbed the holy grail: ball - face - action! The combination of these three elements is what I have observed to be the necessary ingredients for a successful sport shot. Add the team identifier on the jersey, and you've got a real money shot here.

As a few have pointed out, the exposure puts the ball carrier - the most important man in the picture - deep in the shadows. I've found that gettinig good expressions with black skin requires emphasis on the reflective highlights. So I have re-curved this photo to bring those levels to prominance.

I took Photoshop's Curves... tool for this photo and raised it below the one quarter mark at an angle of about 75 degrees. At the one quarter mark the curve went back to about 45 degrees, and slowly got back to the center of the curve between the high quarter and the top of the curve.

Then a 'Warming Filter (85)' Photo Filter ... was applied.

Finally to conform the action to the rule of thirds, I cropped it a bit tighter.

[​IMG]

I hope you don't mind the spontaneous and un invited critique, but the capture was so perfect, I just had to work on it!

7. I'd first say, nice shot. Perfect moment.
    Then I'd say, "We've got 15 white, hacking on the arm. 33 Red to shoot two".

8. Great stuff Ty, I am having such a problem getting a decent shots of my daughters game, the elementary schools gyms are so dark and I really don't like using flash or just have not figured out the proper technique, I will be back at it this Friday

9. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    For an available light shot you nailed that one!

10. Hey Dave,

Thank you sir. I like the way Chris tweaked it for me. Looks much better.

11. Hey Beezle,

Thank you. Not using a flash is sort of a personal thing of mine. I'm really trying to do this with the available light so as not to be too distracting shooting right underneath the basket like I am. I don't want to get tossed out just yet. :smile:

At some point I might talk to the coaches/team to see if they have a problem with me using a flash. I know the images will come out much better were I to throw a little light up in there.

12. Hey Chris,

Thanks so much for brightening this one up for me and also for the details of how you did it. I love this place! :smile:

And no I do not mind in the least the critique. Help me as much as you feel free to do, cause I can use all the help I can get. :smile:

I love what you did to this one. And now that you've shared your magic, I'm gonna be a re-curving, re-tweaking fool here in a minute!

13. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks Ty! I just wish I had a bit of your talent for catching the action at it's crest!

14. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    It sure doesn't get a whole lot better than that! Peak action, tight crop, a little net in the frame, can see the faces....very nice!