GoingInto Sleep

Hello, I have a home built computer that my wife is using. It will go into sleep mode out of the blue. The only way to restart is turn the power off or hold the power button down for a few seconds. It will then but to the start Windows normally and work fine. No patern that I can figure out. The computer has been in working fine for 3 months from when I built it. It is running W7 64 bit, 6GB ram, 750W power supply. I have checked the power settings and made sure nothing was on. Ran scans for virus and malware. Any ideas on what would cause this problem? I am trying to avoid changing the power supply and trying different ram if I can. Any help would be nice. Thanks.

Did you check for any power saving functions in the BIOS?

Hello, I have a home built computer that my wife is using. It will go into sleep mode out of the blue. The only way to restart is turn the power off or hold the power button down for a few seconds. It will then but to the start Windows normally and work fine. No patern that I can figure out. The computer has been in working fine for 3 months from when I built it. It is running W7 64 bit, 6GB ram, 750W power supply. I have checked the power settings and made sure nothing was on. Ran scans for virus and malware. Any ideas on what would cause this problem? I am trying to avoid changing the power supply and trying different ram if I can. Any help would be nice. Thanks.

I did find this... may help... may not...

From a MS forum:

I just solved this problem. Steps I followed:-
1. On my PC, the event that was triggering sleep was Kernel-Power event ID 42. Searched for all such events (using custom views in event viewer).
2. Found that the sleep problem started on March 1.
3. Looked for the changes happened on March 1. First of them was to look for any new progeamme installed on Feb 28 or March 1.
4. Fount that the latest version of media browser was installed.
5. Looked the config details of media browser service and found that this service was triggering sleep after the completion. Unchecked the option!. I hope my HTPC wont sleep tonight!

I did find this... may help... may not...

From a MS forum:

I just solved this problem. Steps I followed:-
1. On my PC, the event that was triggering sleep was Kernel-Power event ID 42. Searched for all such events (using custom views in event viewer).
2. Found that the sleep problem started on March 1.
3. Looked for the changes happened on March 1. First of them was to look for any new progeamme installed on Feb 28 or March 1.
4. Fount that the latest version of media browser was installed.
5. Looked the config details of media browser service and found that this service was triggering sleep after the completion. Unchecked the option!. I hope my HTPC wont sleep tonight!

When I can I will do this. Wife is working on the computer with the Grandkids now. No programs added and I have auto updates turned off. My home computer and my laptop were giving problems. Took out Microsoft Essentials on both and it solved my problems and they are running great. Tried it on my wifes and it didn't help. I suspect it is a hardware problems. Usually when I have hardware problem it is the power supply. Thanks for the help.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
This does not sound like a Sleep mode problem, becasue you then can't wake it up. It sounds like it is crashing. The power supply could well be the problem.

If you send it to sleep, can you wake it up OK?

Are you monitoring the CPU and motherboard temperature?

This does not sound like a Sleep mode problem, becasue you then can't wake it up. It sounds like it is crashing. The power supply could well be the problem.

If you send it to sleep, can you wake it up OK?

Are you monitoring the CPU and motherboard temperature?

Yes it will wake up when you put it to sleep. The CPU and motherboard are a good temp. I think you may be correct that it is the power supply. My number one problem over the years is power supply. Just trying to avoid changing it. Thanks.

Check that the following Control Panel > Power Options > Advanced Settings are as follows...

Sleep, plugged in: Never

Allow Hybrid sleep, plugged in : On

Hibernate after, Plugged in: Enable

Allow wake timers, Plugged in: Enable

USB Selective suspend setting, Plugged in: Disabled

PCI Express, Link State Power Management, Plugged in: Off

Multimedia settings, When sharing media, Plugged in: Prevent idling to sleep

Check that the following Control Panel > Power Options > Advanced Settings are as follows...

Sleep, plugged in: Never

Allow Hybrid sleep, plugged in : On

Hibernate after, Plugged in: Enable

Allow wake timers, Plugged in: Enable

USB Selective suspend setting, Plugged in: Disabled

PCI Express, Link State Power Management, Plugged in: Off

Multimedia settings, When sharing media, Plugged in: Prevent idling to sleep

Thanks for the info. I have traced it to the on button on the case. So far no more problems.

Ah, I never would have thought of that even though I've seen it happen one time.

Things like that can be a PITA to troubleshoot as we tend to look everywhere else first.

Story time...

A 'while back' I was working on a PC, in fact it was the very first IBM AT in the U.S., and it had a problem: its floppy drive would not work. Simple right? Replace the drive, replace ribbon cable, check connections, check BIOS, etc etc. But it still wouldn't work.

At that time things were much simpler than they are today. And thus they were more complicated as well. So more drastic measures had to be taken.

To make a long story short I eventually determined that the case itself was the issue after taking all the guts out of it and lo and behold, it worked. But after putting everything back in it stopped working. Ah ha, a short I thought. But nope, not that simple either. And I never did determine what it was because I fixed it another way. I used a hammer.

Yes, I fixed the very first IBM AT in the country, with a hammer. A few taps on the case here and there, put the guts back in and the drive worked.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
A great story Weebles. Did you ever read the marvellous book "The Soul of a New Machine"? There is a part where they are trying to make the only prototype work and it keeps crashing - possibly a loose bit of solder inside. They lift the whole thing up and drop it. Problem solved.

Yes, I have read it. In fact a friend of mine worked for DG at the time.

There is a known phenomenon whereby every computer assembled in the same factory by the same people on the same assembly line and comprised of exactly the same parts running the same operating system will often perform at least somewhat differently.

No one fully understands why, exactly. Intel studied the phenomenon and concluded it was likely due to variances at the near quantum level in the various semiconductors and others ICs on the mainboards and other PCBs

So in a manner of speaking computers, and all machines for that matter, do have a 'soul' of sorts.

And if they ever become self-aware... Well, then we may have a problem. :wink:

.......To make a long story short I eventually determined that the case itself was the issue after taking all the guts out of it and lo and behold, it worked. But after putting everything back in it stopped working. Ah ha, a short I thought. But nope, not that simple either. And I never did determine what it was because I fixed it another way. I used a hammer.

Yes, I fixed the very first IBM AT in the country, with a hammer. A few taps on the case here and there, put the guts back in and the drive worked.

That's why engineers make the BIG bucks, they know where to hit things with the hammer :biggrin::biggrin:

Ah, I never would have thought of that even though I've seen it happen one time.

Things like that can be a PITA to troubleshoot as we tend to look everywhere else first.

Story time...

A 'while back' I was working on a PC, in fact it was the very first IBM AT in the U.S., and it had a problem: its floppy drive would not work. Simple right? Replace the drive, replace ribbon cable, check connections, check BIOS, etc etc. But it still wouldn't work.

At that time things were much simpler than they are today. And thus they were more complicated as well. So more drastic measures had to be taken.

To make a long story short I eventually determined that the case itself was the issue after taking all the guts out of it and lo and behold, it worked. But after putting everything back in it stopped working. Ah ha, a short I thought. But nope, not that simple either. And I never did determine what it was because I fixed it another way. I used a hammer.

From the tech masters I was instructed always use a rubbler mallet. Makes less noise and damage.

Latest threads

Top Bottom