Golden Finch

Recently got a D800 and decided to try to capture some of the birds near our feeder of the back deck. Believe this is a golden Finch. Over the past couple of weeks the golden colors have really become pronounced. Shooting birds for the 1st time was quite frustrating, every time I seemed to get one in focus he would jump or fly to a different limb. This is one that stayed long enough to get the shot.

Image taken with the d800 and the 300f4 with a 1.7 teleconverter. Iso 800 and f10 @ 250th. Still alot to learn

More correctly, for ID purposes, this is an American Goldfinch, some of the "birder folk" get rather picky about naming :biggrin:, not me, of course, Yellow Bird works for me!

Nice image. I find the smaller songbirds more difficult to photograph than the bigger ones, as you so correctly note, they don't sit around and pose for long. Keep it up, eventually you will begin to be able to anticipate what may happen next.

About the only thing I might change on this image, and I am at a non-calibrated monitor now, is to tone down the white a touch on the chest. Other than that, as others have noted, great detail. Ain't the D800 just grand for detail?

Great shot John, I get lots of those here in Newnan too. The birds are very additive and costly to feed! :smile:
Also, y'all are killin me with those D800 shots, they are sooooooo sharp!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah loving the D800.

Entry into the digital realm was with the D100 when it 1st came out and then moved to the D200 which I still use and love. Finally in March moved to the D800 for the full frame and anticipation of going full time into Photography with my retirement.. Focus is so much quicker but the detail in the files is pretty amazing. Image above reflects a real heavy crop.

I hear you on the feed. Been going through about 20lbs per week of Coles Black oil seed.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom