Critique Golden Weaver

I photographed these colorful, little birds at the Brookfield Zoo yesterday. These birds are tiny...about the size of a sparrow. They are also quick.

Although these are captive birds, they live in a relatively large free fly area. So, I had birds flying very close to my head while taking these pictures.

It probably looked a little odd to most zoo visitors to see me shooting with a 500 f/4 VR lens with a flash (Better Beamer attached) in this area.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks for looking...
Glenn

Attachments

Last edited:
Glenn, these are lovely photos of a beautiful bird! #2 would have been my pick but the feet out of the focal plane bothers me a bit. That shot a little stopped down would have been a winner. I do like #1 for the great composition.

Wonderful captures of a beautiful bird Glenn. And yes you definitely must have looked a bit out of place with that setup in a zoo.
Thank you, John...definitely out of place!
Beautiful and stunning photos
Thanks Jim...much appreciated.
Glenn, these are lovely photos of a beautiful bird! #2 would have been my pick but the feet out of the focal plane bothers me a bit. That shot a little stopped down would have been a winner. I do like #1 for the great composition.
Thank you, Mitch...a wider depth of field would have been nice, but the light wasn't great and either were the backgrounds. So, I settled for the lesser of two evils.

Next time, I'll try boosting the ISO up a bit. With the D850, I can definitely go higher than the ISO 1000 I used for these. I just posted some gorilla shots from the same day at ISO 2000 (and those didn't have any noise problem).
I really like weavers. Did they have nests in the area?
Thanks Karen...there were many nests. The weavers would enter the nests from below.
Real beauties Glenn, never seen on of these guys before.
Thanks Louis...I believe they typically reside in Africa. That's one thing about visiting a zoo...it's kind of like cheating in a way, but you do get to see many animals/birds that you would have otherwise have to travel great distances to photograph. The free fly aspect of this space made it more fun for me.
Very nice, especially 2.n - bg and head angle.
Thank you, Allan

Glenn

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom