Goldthread

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Bob Coutant, May 23, 2005.

1. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    This little wildflower has probably been growing on my farm since the dawn of time, but my D70 helped me notice it for the first time this year. I took several shots for identification purposes, and then decided I liked this one, even if it is over processed. A friend identified the plant as goldthread.

“From amidst shiny deckle-edged leaves emerge diminutive flowers with white, pointed sepals that most people think are petals. In the center of these are found obscure club-shaped petals and numerous white stamens with gold anthers. The strange petals are actually nectaries to feed thirsty insects. The blossom is a subject for a close look with a magnifier because of its exquisite structure. The plant derives its name from the roots' resemblance to yellow threads. These are bitter but beneficial medicinally-according to the old-time country housewife.”

DSC_0573sm.

2. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    I suspect that your flower is a Star-of-Bethelehem, or the genus Ornithogalum. Goldthread is Captis trifolia. Of course, since goldthread and star of bethelehem are common names and common names vary throughout the country (thus the reason for scientific names) goldthread may be the common name used in your locality.
    Sorry for the lengthy discourse :roll: , but very nice pic in any event!!
    My best,
    Jerry Snider

P.S. these plants are toxic. You can find a pic of Goldthread at http://www.ct-botanical-society.org/galleries/coptistrif.html

3. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio