Golf pro's headshots, not sure about skintone (pic)

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by Steve S, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    original.
    Model NIKON D2X/17-55DX
    Flash Used Yes
    Focal Length 55 mm
    Exposure Time 1/80 sec
    Aperture f/3.2
    ISO Equivalent 400
    Exposure Bias none
    White Balance flash
    Exposure Program manual

(btw, I did 4 different guys at this shoot). Ya, I did it the (stupid) lazy way of simply setting the WB to Flash, instead of doing a custom WB. For some reason, they all turned out quite a bit more yellow than this final edit for web. Ibounced the flash off the 9ft high (off white) ceiling. Want opinions on skintone. I know, everybody had slightly different skintones, but does this look overly yellow to you, or is it ok?
    In NC4, I did a "Calculate Automatically", then tweaked more from there.
    Also, I learned 2 valuable lessons here. always bring spare consumables, and do a custom WB! My Flash batteries went dead 3/4 way through the shoot, and I didn't bring spares, thinking this would be a quick hit & run deal. They were barely used rechargables. I thought I actually had to go home for the spare SB800, since I thought it might've been the SB800 at fault. The reason for thinking I had to return the 6 mi home, was the head pro gave me 4 (apparently well used) AA's, and the SB continued to malfunction, and not fire. So, back home, I put some known good batteries in it, then it worked just fine.
    Didn't exactly leave a great impression with the head pro. As I mentioned earlier, he's (was)considering me for an occasional position as an event photog. Dammit! :oops:

2. Skin tones look good to me. Sorry about your weak battery situation. I never go on a flash shoot without two sets of fresh batteries. I learned that early on with my SB800's

3. It looks yellowish to me, Steve. Since I don't use RAW, I generally adjust stuff like this using Photoshop's
    color balance utility. It's all eyeball stuff. In this case, I shifted cyan-to-red by +15%, and yellow-to-blue by
    +12%. See what you think.

4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks guys, & Frank, that is better now

I'll use your correction formula on em. I gotta go back and redo all of them in PS before I deliver the images on CD for the print shop. They're making a brochure offering golf lessons, and their (small) images are gonna be on it. Dunno why the heck the came out so dang yellow though. I figured "Flash" WB would'a gotten me close.
    How's the crop, too tight, too loose?

5. I'd think it's just fine for a brochure, Steve. Nice sharp shot.

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Just finished color correcting all 4 shots,

and reburning them to CD. I also realised they were still in 16-bit color, so I converted them to 8-bit. They do look much better now. Thanks Frank!

7. Wonderful shot IMO!! :D :D :D :D :D

8. Steve,

Don't beat yourself up over a few mistakes. This is how we all learn. By mistakes. Now you know to take extra batteries, extra flash and set the white balance yourself. Overall, I think you gave it your best shot and who knows they still may give you the position of their event photographer. God knows I don't think I couldn't have done better.

9. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thnx Brian & Mel,

I did learn a good lesson here I won't repeat. Mel, you gotta a PM.