Golf: The Open, nostalgia and me

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by Frits, Jul 3, 2008.

1. In two weeks the Open (or the British Open, as it is called in North America :smile:) will be played at Royal Birkdale. I can't wait.
    It is the one golf event that is able to glue me to the telly for an entire round. So much history, so much love and appreciation for the game and often a lot of drama.

Many years ago I played with MacGregor Muirfield irons, the very ones that saw Jack Nicklaus through his finest years and some memorable Opens. The clubs commemorated his love affair for the Open and one of the courses in the rota: Muirfield.
    I still have these clubs and every year, on Open Sunday, I stick them in my bag and play with them. It often is among the best rounds of the season...

D2x, Nikkor AF-I 300mm f/2.8 (available light)

original.jpg

2. Very nice Frits- The Open is my favourite golf tournament too. I have been lucky enough to see a few of the links from the Open rota and actually tried a couple too. It really makes you appreciate how good the top players are.
    Great shot BTW

3. Thanks David! You are a lucky guy. Playing one of them remains a dear wish to me. One day...

4. Hey Frits -

That is an evocative shot - well done.

I've played perhaps 40 times in the past 30 years.

I have a set of 7 clubs stowed in a horribly-colored (brown and yellow) bag that I purchased from a discount store in 1977; I've never broken 100, but I made par or birdie on a couple of (memorable!) occasions; I've never had a round in a cart.

OTOH, I have come to appreciate what I perceive to be the essence of the game . . .

i.e., that it's ******* impossible - lol.

I do enjoy the game and its challenges - rather like photography, no?

I don't watch golf on TV except for the Masters and the Open (I agree). As an emigrant Kansan, I've long been a fan of young Tom in the Open . . .

Today turns out to be our 26th wedding anniversary: our ceremony was held at the Merion Golf Club in Ardmore, Pennsylvania. As an aficionado,
    you probably recognize that venue . . .

Eric

5. Congratulations on your anniversary Eric!
    What a beautiful place to celebrate it. Merion, with its wonderful history and memories of Bobby Jones and Ben Hogan - and of course its unique wicker basket pins.

6. Frits
    that is a wonderful shot
    i'll be glued to my "telly" as well

thanks for this thread

7. Spanky

Spanky

Nov 10, 2007
    Kentucky
    Playing with a set of forged blades is not for the faint of heart. You must be a very good player. Nice picture and good luck on your next golf outing.