Golf tournament pics

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by nipprdog, May 17, 2007.

1. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    A coworker's son was in a local junior high match with a few other schools on Saturday. he asked me about coming out to shoot it. at first, I wasn't sure about it. then, I thought well, first time for everything. I shot with my 300f4 so I could stay far enough away to avoid shutter noise distractions. :wink:

considering it was my first golf shoot, I was happy with the results. this one is my favorite. it has the glofer,club,ball, and the flag.

DSC_1923ZPcopyw.

a few more

View attachment 96095

View attachment 96096

View attachment 96097

View attachment 96098

View attachment 96099

View attachment 96100

View attachment 96101

View attachment 96102

thanks for looking.

2. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

You dont see much golf on here. These are very good. I am shooting a golf tournament in a few weeks, so these are very helpful. Thanks.

3. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    These are great!

My son and I play just about every weekend and I have been tempted to sit one out and just photograph him playing. I've photographed him on the driving range thousands of times so he can see his swing sequence but never on the course. These make me want to do that now.

4. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    Well, since some of you will be doing this, here's where I got some tips;http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=61063

First, thanks for the compliments.

Second, here's what I did. there were nine groups starting at once on holes 1-9. I started on #9, and got them teeing off. then, I got the next group chipping and putting on #8, and then teeing off on #9. I repeated that pattern until all nine groups came through. then I hopped in my cart and ventured around looking for good spots to shoot. I was at a disadvantage, since I'd never been to the course before, since I don't play the game. :biggrin:

5. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Jim, thanks, that is awesome advice!

6. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    cool shots!
    there is soemthing to be worked with those player shadows as well,
    I wonder if it is feasible to shoot on a little two step step-ladder to get more height

Aside fro distance reducing shutter noise, the longer lens leads to more subject isolation, which IMO is almost always preferable for sports images.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Nice work.
    They should be happy with those

8. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    Thanks, twig.

9. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    Thank you, Gale.

10. DJ Matt

DJ Matt Guest

cool shots!

11. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    Thanks, Matt.

12. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Golf is a sport that I would enjoy shooting, thanks Jim for sharing these images. It looks like an enjoyble shoot.