1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Gomphus kurilis, Stylurus olivaceus ... and Friends

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Spectre, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Well, today was my first hunt since I took the header down the enbankment. See previous post for details. Had a pretty good day....

1. Gomphus kurilis - Pacific Clubtail As you can see from his wings, this one has seen some battles. He's pretty beat up all around.

[​IMG]

2. Gomphus kurilis - Pacific Clubtail

[​IMG]

3. Stylurus olivaceus - Olive Clubtail

[​IMG]

4. Stylurus olivaceus - Olive Clubtail

[​IMG]

5. Common Whitetail

[​IMG]

6. Blue Dasher

[​IMG]

7. Widow Skimmer

[​IMG]

8. Twelve Spotted Skimmer

[​IMG]

9. Western Pondhawk - Male

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. YEAH! Paul is back up and shooting.... Good to hear man... Now, this set does not cut it at all.... Just kidding! You had a great day, lots of variety, and interesting shots, good comps, nice color and sharpness. I think #3 my favorite of the set, though hard choices....

3. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    Great set!

Pretty good day?! .... bit of an understatement, mate :) 

4. Wow, you got just about everything I can get here (and not all in the same pond). These are great. Falling into the icky green water has often been a fear of mine. Off to read your accident post;) )

5. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Thanks Rich. It was nice to get back out there. The light wasn't the greatest, but all in all pretty decent outing.

Thanks Holmes. It wasn't bad for roughly 1.5 hours.

Thanks Birgit. It never ceases to amaze me how many different species are flying around here. So far, I have found roughly 10-12 different types. There are a couple that I just haven't been able to shoot ... they always manage to stay just out of reach. Eventually I'll get them all!

6. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Excellent shots Paul. You certainly have a nice variety of species. What about damselflies?

7. Very nice series, Paul!

Those are some serious Dragons!

8. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Thanks Torben. To tell you the truth there are so many damsels flying around out there, I don't really pay them much attention. I would probably shoot more damsels if I had a set of Kenko tubes or a PN-11 tube to bring them in closer. I do know there are several colors and several patterns... I'll have to pay better attention.

Thanks Jukka.
    I was about ready to put things away yesterday when I saw the Pacific Clubtail with the bad wings flutter over and perch. It appeared he was having problems flying, which is understandable. Anyway, after I shot him I went back to my car and the Olive Clubtail was on the ground next to my car. He took off, but landed a couple of yards away. I was able to shoot those two in about 10 min.

The others (the Whitetail, Widow Skimmer, Dasher and Pondhawks) are all over the place so they aren't a lot of challenge. There are 2 that I haven't been able to get ... the Black Saddlebags and the Flame Skimmer.

9. Wow! Nice set, Paul... Looks as if you had a great day.

10. Nice to see you back and shooting Paul

after I almost stepped on a massasauga rattlesnake in my dragon field - I have been slightly reluctant to return there (that and I'm still on the hunt for a camera)

Great shots as always - keep up the great work

11. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Thanks Tom. It was a good day, but then anytime I get to go out and wander around with my camera is a good day!

Thanks Paul. The whole Rattlesnake thing would probably make me a bit skittish as well. Luckily where I am there are only Garter Snakes to deal with.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.