Gone and done it...D2X on the way..

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Jeff Mims, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Thank all of you for your informed, and knowledgable opinions. I really appreciate the advice, and comments very much.
    I just decided, since the D2X is what I've wanted all year, that I didn't want to order a D200, and wish I'd gotten the D2X. Besides,with the D200 just being released to the market (Dec 15th?), if it's a great camera, I'm sure Nikon will be making them six months from now.
    That and I'll know a LOT more about the camera, after it gets into some real photographers hands.

2. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Congratulations, I know you'll love it.

3. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi

It's your fault. (and other Cafe members)You guys talked me into it.

Why take responsibilty for my own actions, when it's so much easier to blame others? :biggrin:

4. You can't go wrong with a D2X. I look forward to seeing and hearing about your experience with this camera.

5. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Hopefully, I'll transform into an award winning, highly sought after master photographer right after I take it out of the box.:biggrin:

Although, there is a chance, mind you, that I may have to actually practice with the camera, and work with it, and improve my technique. (a small chance..but still a possibility):wink:

One things for certain, after seeing some of the images you guys have posted.....Wow!

Somehow I doubt the fine images I've seen were just because you were using a D2X, instead of some other camera. I really enjoy looking at really excellent photography. It really inspires me to refine my technique. Not that I'm competing, but I want to able to produce images of beauty. That's what it's all about to me.

6. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    You just bought yourself a one way ticket to nirvana! :)
    Its a fairly intuitive machine and I doubt you will struggle too much, all those menu options though I remember how impressed I was at first. Just think in a few months you will still be finding things too :)

7. Glad I didn't contribute to your other thread so I can avoid any blame! But, I hope you enjoy your new "x" as much as I do mine!!

8. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

9. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Paul,
    It was a difficult choice. However, the DX2 is available *now*, it has a lot of fans, and it's the camera I'd planned all year to get. I probably would have waited till early next year, but then there was a price drop/rebate going on.
    The D200 may very well hit dealer shelves Dec 15th..when would I actually recieve mine? That's the point, it could be Jan/Feb..even March..depending on how far I am down the list.
    Wherease I could be using the camera that:
    1. I really wanted this camera
    2. Is available.
    3. has the bugs worked out
    4. I really wanted this camera!:biggrin:

And in six months, or a even a year, I'll know more about the D200, which could be a welcome addition to the family.

"No one was ever sorry they bought a Nikon" - Arthur Kramer

10. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Buyer's remorse is terrible, better that you bought the camera that you really wanted than settle for a camera that has most of the features that you want at a lower price. You won't worry about the price once you open the box when it arrives. Enjoy your new baby!

11. ero2

ero2 Guest

Darnit, I was all set on D200, now it won't be here till after Christmas, and I HAVE to take pictures at Christmas, but I have never done any paid work, made any money from my work, this is why my significant other keeps asking why I needed a 340 ballhead fr Christmas from her, and how I can spend 4k on a camera. I told her, you send 250 on jeans, and I spend 25 on dickies, see the connection here :smile: Oh what to do, what to do, LOL.

12. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Congrats Jeff, you got enough puterin' power for it?

One thing most of us found out when we started working with those big 2X files is that our puters were woefully inadequate, esp if you're shoooting NEFs. Are you going to be shooting NEFs? Also, big CF cards are a must. 2 gigs get filled up really fast sometimes. One day, I had my 2X set on uncompressed nefs from an earlier portrait shoot, but I was out shooting in-flight bird shots, and I could not believe how d@mn fast that card got filled! Then when my camera wouldn't shoot any more, I actually thought I had a camera malfunction, only to discover my card was full. This has happened on more that one occasion. Guess I don't learn from my mistakes! :redface: (hint, buy fast ones too!)

13. Is it there yet?
    Is it there yet?
    Is it there yet?
    Is it there yet?
    Is it there yet?
    Is it there yet?
    Is it there yet?

Picked mine up last Saturday and I am blown away (after my D70)! Holidays start on Thursday until next year and I just KNOW the PC will be on its knees gasping for breath all throughout that time.

14. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Congratulations!! :Happy: If you shoot toward the telephoto end, you'll absolutely fall in love with the crop / 2x feature. You may want to see if your D2X has the latest firmware Nikon posted a couple months ago. It probably does.

If you can, ask someone to photograph you opening the box!! :biggrin: (Your SMILE will be out a' sight!!)

15. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Steve,
    You mean puter power...as in PC, or just CF cards? I thought I was doing ok with three Sandisk (EX-III/) cards. Especially since they were 1 gig each. Now I'm too understand, 1 gig is not enough?:eek:
    I didn't take into account the huge data files. You can shoot for days with a 1gig on a digicam. So is it more like hours with the D2X? :smile:

16. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Gonzo,
    I didn't expect it till Wed...however, when I got home yesterday, there was this big package....
    So...it begins.:biggrin:

17. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Thanks..

Short version: Yeah!!!!!!! Alright!!!!!!

Long version:

I opened the box, and got it out ok...but when I started looking at all the features...it's almost intimidating at first. This coming from a guy who has shot weddings/portraits, has experience with MF, pro 35mm bodies and RFs. (but all film bodies)
    I feel like I'm starting all over with digital.:redface:
    However, I've read one consistent piece of advice on this and other forums;
    Read the manual, learn the camera, practice. I understand it is a demanding camera, but if you care for it with proper technique it will reward you with wonderful images.

18. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Yes, puter power as in PC power

Some have reported their puters choking on these large files. Would recommend AT LEAST 1.5 GB system ram, and as much as 3 gigs. I have 2 GB right now. As for the camera eating up CF cards, it's largely depends on how you shoot, ie in rapid sequence or sinhgle shots, and if you shoot raw or not. Just remember, like I never seem to do, if it won't fire after having shot several shots, the card's full! :Shocked:

19. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    When I bought this machine (Dell) I figured 2 gigs/ram would be all I'd ever need. Don't think I can expand it further either. Guess I just need to order a PowerMac G5, with 8 gigs, but that probably won't be enough in 2 years. :smile:

20. There is always a double dual core Opteron w/8GB, then you add 1200GB RAID 5 over 4 spindles (each w 16MB cache @7200 RPM) in an external chassis, and add....

I think I priced out something like that before and reached $5500 before even a graphics card and an appropriate monitor. I will wait as well.....