Gone Fishing!

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by 151proof, Jul 31, 2008.

1. 151proof

151proof

Jun 6, 2008
    SD
    Well, not yet but I will be tomorrow! I haven't gone deep sea fishing since I was a kid and now 15 years later I'm heading out on a little half day adventure here in San Diego and wanting to bring my gear. Now my question is what type of complications am I going to run into being out there in the ocean with a possibility of salt water and fish scales splashing everywhere, lol? I am thinking about just bringing the D80 with my ol' 28-105 lens and thats it. I really dont want to bring my 70-300 VR or my 16-85 VR in fear of ruining them. Will I need some type of polarizer as well? All I have for filters are UV, what do you guys think? I am a noob so bear with me, thanks!

2. Keis

Keis

Jan 13, 2006
    Fort Collin, CO
    Lens for fishing

I'd suggest more wide angle. You'll be on a boat and can't get too far back so most of the px will be close to very close. Besides WAs give you bigger fish from the distortion.

3. A circular polarizer would be a good idea. You could buy one for your largest thread size and pick up some step up rings for your smaller lenses. Looking forward to some pics..........

Cheers

Ted:smile:

4. Also have a good towel handy, big plastic bag, and keep the gear in your bag when you're not using it. The towel is for wiping off the salt spray, the bag is for added protection against the water too. Good luck! You have more guts than I do! I'd just take along a little disposable. OR buy another camera with waterproof housing.

5. 151proof

151proof

Jun 6, 2008
    SD
    I thought about that but I am really relunctant on bringing my 16-85vr on board. We'll see by tomorrow I might change my mind.

6. 151proof

151proof

Jun 6, 2008
    SD
    Thanks for that piece of advice! I might just do that this afternoon...

7. 151proof

151proof

Jun 6, 2008
    SD
    Thanks for the advice and now you got me thinking about just bringing my P&S... But this is like an oppurtunity just waiting when I reel in that 50lb Bluefin!!! :biggrin: