Gone Fishing

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
I felt like photographing something cheerful on Sunday.

I must admit I find all this childish trashing of statues and moronic behaviour from those who should know better, such as the Bishop of Bristol (UK) covering up stained glassed windows, very depressing, given that a lot of my photography has to do with history and monuments and buildings that have been passed down to us. I feel we are rapidly returning to 1984

I am fascinated by history and I like to learn about the people, good and bad, behind the artefacts I come across. The things I photograph are usually the result of reading about them.

These pictures form part of my "Gonzaga" project. The Gonzaga's left a big mark on the territory around Mantua. They created wonders like the perfect city of Sabbioneta and the "Camera degli Sposi" in Mantua. They also were capable of locking their enemies in a dungeon and letting them die without food or water. Should we trash what these rather nasty people left behind because it doe not fit our modern values and behaviour?

Rant over, here are some pictures from a sunny Sunday afternoon, which left me in a better mood.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1 Torre degli Gonzaga, Commessaggio

2 Torre degli Gonzaga, Commessaggio

3 Boat bridge Commessaggio

4 Commessaggio

5 Bread Cisone

6 Breda Cisone 35mm PC

7 Viadana 24Samyang TS

8 Viadana. Hand held with the Z7

9 Viadana

10 Viadana -detail shot.

11 Viadana

12 Commessaggio

An excellent series. I can see that you are located in Italy and I have to assume that the emptiness I see in the city has to be due to the Covid-19 that attacked so brutally Italy a few months back.
I specially love the architectural shots.
Very well done.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
An excellent series. I can see that you are located in Italy and I have to assume that the emptiness I see in the city has to be due to the Covid-19 that attacked so brutally Italy a few months back.
I specially love the architectural shots.
Very well done.
Thank you.

Thankfully we are over the worst of the pandemic and things are returning to some sort of normal.

The places where I took these pictures are sleepy little villages in the Po Valley and the absence of people is quite normal here.

Great images, I'm glad you have an eye and heart to capture the older places and focus on some of the details of places. Fishing right about now sounds like a very pleasant thing to do and using bait is optional. LOL

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
Great images, I'm glad you have an eye and heart to capture the older places and focus on some of the details of places. Fishing right about now sounds like a very pleasant thing to do and using bait is optional. LOL
The fisherman shot was a right place right time shot.

I love exploring Italy's old monuments, the list is never ending. But I also like the little details of some of the sleepy villages i visit.

Another excellent set, Nigel. I have an interest in the Gonzaga clan too and I'm always interested in the history you uncover. I had never heard of Sabbioneta, but I guess I need to explore there, too. I really miss Italy and just hope we are able to visit again before I get too old.

Looks like the spell checker sabotaged your title for photo #5.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
Another excellent set, Nigel. I have an interest in the Gonzaga clan too and I'm always interested in the history you uncover. I had never heard of Sabbioneta, but I guess I need to explore there, too. I really miss Italy and just hope we are able to visit again before I get too old.

Looks like the spell checker sabotaged your title for photo #5.
Thanks.

Sabbioneta is a few miles from Mantua and is a very special place for me. It is about an hours drive from my home. You might like this Ebook I put together with pictures that span about fifteen years of visits. just do not visit on a Monday when the monuments are closed.

It is provincial Italy at is best.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
Thanks

Yes, I like that shot too, it is a symbol of a sleepy provincial village. These door curtains are a leftover from the days when you could leave the front front door to your house open on a hot day without the risk of unwelcome visitors.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom