GonzoBernelli Done Drug Me Around !

Discussion in 'Birds' started by PJohnP, Jun 2, 2007.

1. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Well, that GonzoBernelli (Nick) took me all over heck's half-acre in southeast Texas today (GB's Take on the Day)in hot, humid, sticky-as-all-get-out swamp land, tramping around for hours, surrounded by big loud belching and singing alligators ...

It was fun.

We saw dancing tricolour herons :

[​IMG]

and yellow-crowned night herons :

[​IMG]

and all manner of other critters.

But the best part was meeting Nick and talking about all manner of things, as we traipsed around Brazos Bend State Park.

When you're in the company of a fine photographer and a great guy...

Always shoot.

John P.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    I saw Nick's post and now you lay this one on us! You two had waaaaay too much fun today. Both images are outstanding!

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Sounds like a really great day
    Nice shots

4. Very good John! Yesterday will be a day long remembered...

5. Looks like the Swamp Boys' Day Out was fruitful and lots of fun! John, that dancing heron is wonderful!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2007
  6. John, super series. Judging by these you guys had too much fun and way too much good light.

Louie

7. Beautiful images. And I'm jealous... you got to meet Nick!! Bet there weren't any bugs, huh?

8. Wonderful shots, John. I know it was a pleasure getting together with Nick.

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice shots John. Were these with the 2-4?

10. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

11. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Sandi :

Swamp Boys ??? :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: Egads.

The credit for being in place to shoot the Dancing Heron lies completely with Nick, who has a comprehensive knowledge of the area and where the better shooting opportunities can be found. He quite accurately predicted where the TCH would be, places to spot ourselves, and a well-practiced knowledge of the manner in which the bird would behave.

Kudos to Nick all around for a great shooting day.

John P.

12. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Louie :

Great light and great company. Fun all around.

John P.

13. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Gentlemen :

Thanks for the very kind remarks. These were indeed with the 200-400mm, but in a change for me, tripod mounted most of the day. Nick was a highly knowledgeable and delightful photographer to work with and around, but even such abilities did not mean that there were no bugs. I have the bites to prove it... :eek: :rolleyes:

I had the good luck to get right down closer to the water level while Nick watched for the 'gators. We had a moment when the direct sun flitted around a cloud, and I had some more diffuse light with which to shoot a little green heron. I dialed up the WB to shade for the moment to really catch the colours.

[​IMG]

The water's rich with duckweed, bubbles of swamp gas, and other oddities, giving it an unusual bokeh, even though I was shooting stopped down a bit. This little bird was just perched looking for its next meal, and we were in the right spot at the right time. Life is good.

John P.

14. John,
    Your LGH shot is virtually identical to mine, other than the "bright on the left" - it sure did not move a whole lot while were standing there - either we weren't perceived as a threat or the bird was "way deep into food mode" that we were not even seen. Most of the LGH I've seen at BBSP have a comfort zone reaching out 100 feet or more - this one let us get to about, what would you say, 20-25 feet?

BTW, John, I forgot to thank you so much for being MY "mosquito coil" during our swamp visit - I came away after 5 1/2 hours BITE FREE, <grimning evilly>. You were so silent about your "torment" I though you got away scott-free!

Nick

15. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Nick :

Yah, the LGH was pretty comfortable with us, and I'd figure about twenty feet distance. That spot of brightness is because my exposure changed relative to yours when the sun went behind the cloud, but the water was relatively brighter than the bird. Getting the tripod down to near to the ground level changed the net light angle a bit, too.

Heh. Well, I didn't get too many bites after the liberal DEET application you made before we set out, but I'm glad to have served as "mosquito bait" for you ! :eek: :rolleyes: :wink:

John P.

16. John, that LGH shot is simply wonderful! The colours in the feathers, the pose, the intensity of his stare - all wonderful.