Good AA Batteries

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by stephen99, Aug 7, 2007.

1. stephen99

stephen99

Nov 22, 2006
    Holland, Ohio
    I have been using NiMH AAs for some time now in steadily increasing mAh ratings. The last batch I bought are rated at 2700 mAh. They all have worked fine but I sometimes forget to throw them in the charger the day before a shoot and end up having to swap out batteries due to the self discharge characteristics. Somewhere in one of the Strobist related sites I found a reference to a new type of NiMH that holds its charge longer. They are made by Rayovac and are called Hybrid NiMH. The only place I have found them is Walmart. If memory serves they cost $9 for a pack of 4. The mAh rating is 2100 but because they hold a charge so much better than standard NiMH they seem to last longer. That, of course, is more because of my failure to charge up the regular ones when I ought to but the point remains. In other words, good batteries for the memory challenged.

2. Get the Maha 2700 AA batteries.. they work just great... I used 5 of them in my SB-800 flash and they lasted the whole day.. i never had to change batteries.. They might have higer rated ones out now though...

3. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Eneloops are only rated at 2100 I think... I use Energizer 2500 mAh, have a ton of them to power 3 SB-800s (15 batteries), D200 (6) and a bunch extra that stay in the charger until I need them.

the 5 in my SB-800 lasts way longer than 1 day's worth of shooting, but I usually keep them topped off if I used them extensively.

4. Here is another vote for the Maha's 2700 mAh. I have 5 in my SB800, and 5 more ready to go just in case. I can usually shoot around 200 or so pics and they still have juice. I basically swap both sets of five when needed.

5. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Another Mahaa/Powerex user here. I have 8 1800MaH Powerex batteries that are at least 5 years old and still working. I gave them to my daughetr for her P&S, but I have 20 2300MaH for my SB-800. The Maha 8 cell desktop charger is my favorite.

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/mhc401fs.htm

6. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Another vote for Thomas and Maha. I use Powerex 2700 mA in my SB800s and the Maha 8-cell charger.

7. I too have the 8 cell charger from Thomas and it is superb.

8. I use Powerex 2500 mah and I know what you mean, when I am not using the flash much I try to charge every 2 weeks minimum but sometimes forget. You might stick a couple of packs of AA lithiums in your bag. You won't have to worry about them at all and they will be there for those times that you forget to do a maintenance charge.

9. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

They claim that you don't need to drain and condition batteries. Is this true? No short memory charges??

10. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I don't rememebr the exact verbage, but you don't have to drain every recharge. Most if not all MAHA chargers have a recycle mode. I recycle mine occasionally.

11. I notice that mine get a little weak, that is the battery tester will show that maybe 1 in 4 aren't fully charging and I run a recondition on them. I do that about 3 times a year. Most of the time they recover fully but I have had some old 2300 mah Powerexs that didn't. The battery tester is revealing.

12. What they said. So far I have not had to do the recondition. Interestingly enough I had a couple of old batteries that didn't want to charge on my old 4 cell charger that came with the batteries, I put them in my new 8 cell charger and they came up to speed fine. I have been using them for the last couple of months with no problem.

13. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Gordon, my newest 4 cell charger started doing that, but only on the 4th position. In my case, it was the charger and not the battery. I sent the charger back to Thomas with a copy of the invoice and a note of explanation. All I sent was the charger itself, but less than a week later I had a complete new charger under warranty. Too bad everyone doesn't turn warranties around that fast.

14. Thomas is a good outfit to do business with. Unfortunately my 4 cell charger was from a local store.

15. I have had excellent results with Panasonic's R2 rechargeable batteries, they are expensive, however they retain 80% of their charge if unused for up to a year.

AM