Good comparison of the Sigma "300 2.8s"

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by JMartin, Jun 13, 2007.

1. JMartin

JMartin Guest

Ran across this write up on the Pop Photo web site that may be helpful to someone in the delima I was recently in. :biggrin:

Sigma shoot out

Hope this helps someone out! I know I was pulling my hair out trying to decide.

2. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    Interesting that it goes against the general consensus that the zoom is sharper than the prime.

Even so I'd still pick the zoom for it's versatility, it's not much bigger either.

3. This is exactly what I'd expect if Sigma had quietly reformulated the 300/f2.8 when it was turned over to DG status last year. A prime ought to be slightly better than a comparable zoom, simply for having fewer compromises in design.

Sigma acknowledged that the zoom was better than the prime almost five years ago, so there's been ample time to address issues.

Besides, judging by the images we see around here, it's not as if the prime is now a legend and the zoom is ***t... the 120-300 is obviously still a great lens, even if the prime is now slightly better.

4. Guest-002

Guest-002 Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    Worcester, MA
    Don't you find the bird pictures on the PopPhoto link oversharpened? That white halo artifact really seems to stand out.

5. I can say from hands-on experience that the Sigma prime (the non-DG) is an excellent lens. I have compared it to my other long lenses (Nikkors...300 f2.8 AIS, 400 f3.5 AIS, and 300 f4 AFS) and its right in line (film and D200). With the exception of the 300 f4, I only shoot these larger lenses wide open, so I haven't really studied the smaller aperture performance (its not relevant to my work). The 1.4 tc requires no stopping down, but the 2x needs about 2/3 of a stop and then it is quite crisp. I haven't tried the zoom, so I am not qualified to comment. I have heard very good things about it, but that's not the same and pictures on the web are not a reliable means of judging lens performance...at least that's been my experience.