Good deals are still expensive deals!

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Vernon t, Oct 28, 2005.

1. My lens lust has been in remission for a while.

But......

I just noticed that the two lenses on the top of my lust-list, the 20 and 180 primes, are on DOUBLE rebate as of yesterday 10/27/05.

Is this good news or bad news, apart from the fact that I hate rebates with a passion!!!???

Dang.
    Expensive news most likely. I can just hear me now....."Honey, I just saved $240....isn't that wonderful...aren't you happy sweetie".

http://www.nikonusa.com/fileuploads/pdfs/slr_rebates.pdf

2. I think the 17-55 made the 20 2.8, 24 2.8 and 28 2.8 obsolete. I don't see how these primes are so special to beat the 17-55 2.8.

Same goes for the 180. If it was AF-s I'd want it, but as it is now, the 80-200 takes its place. The little sharpness gain is not a deal-maker IMHO.

3. a. I cannot say you are wrong, but.....

b. When I mount my 17-55 the 85mm always goes with me because the zoom is a bit to short in reach for many shots.

c. I love my 28-70, recently acquired. I'd say it is my favorite lens except it is not wide enough for indoor gatherings. A 20mm in the bag or baggy pocket would be the ideal accompaniment to the beast.

d. Yeah, yeah...lots of overlap...but what joy. Changing lenses warms my testosterone....swabbing sensors ditto.

e. If I wanted to be practical I'd buy a 28-200 with its current double rebate and be done with all these superfluous lenses.

f. I'm having too much fun to be "practical".:biggrin:

MAIN point: g. My eventual kit-lite will be a 10.5,20,35,50,85,180, an extra battery and some powerbars in a tiny Lowepro micro-trekker 100.

h. I'm better with primes or at least I think I am. If I think I am I'll have a better time. If I'm not better I, under no circumstances, will want to know the truth.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Vern,

You are a person impeccable logic. :biggrin:

5. Precisely! That's why, after careful and extensive consideration, I bought the 20/2.8. It's pretty, too :biggrin:.

[​IMG]

6. Frank, I don't think I am going to buy it but your photograph of it would make anyone salivate.

7. Frank's lens is sort of the modern incarnation of Kubrick's HAL 9000 sans malevolent red glow!:cool:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. I demo'ed an 80-200 AF-S for about a month and got to compare it to my 180/2.8, and I preferred the 180. Yes the 180 is sharper, but it really wins in the size & weight departments. Besides most of my shooting on the 80-200 was done at the long end, so the focal length flexibility wasn't a strong selling point to me.

9. :eek: Yikes, I just did it.
    I know this is one of those lenses I am going to own someday so why not today?
    I just pulled the B&H trigger on a 180mm.

Oh, one odd thing...B&H search for "Nikkor 180mm" does not turn up that lens as it would any other Nikkor. You gotta' search "Nikon 180mm".....odd indeed.

10. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

11. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I love my 180 and use it for everything from panoramics to portraits. The worst thing is waiting for it to arrive.:biggrin:

12. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    That 180 is a sweet lens and you are going to enjoy it immensely. It has just a smidgeon of advantage in picture rendition over the 80-200, but the size advantage - ahhh.