1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Good inexpensive wide-angle for FX?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by tfenne, Aug 15, 2008.

1. tfenne

tfenne

Apr 10, 2008
    Cambridge, MA
    I think NAS has driven me mad :eek: . I'm toying with the idea of selling my D300 and the handful of DX lenses I have and upgrading to a D700. Out of my DX lenses the only one I think I'd really miss is my Sigma 10-20mm. I'm rationalizing this to myself by telling myself I won't be laying out too much cash. So spending a large amount of additional cash, splurging on 14mm prime or 14-24mm would blow that!

Are there any reasonably priced (ideally < $300, definitely < $500) ultra-wides or wides that perform nicely on FX? I'm open to pretty much anything - zoom or prime, nikon or other brand, AF or MF, new or used, just so long as it'll mount and meter on a D700. Can anybody help me out with a recommendation?

2. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    How wide do you want to go? I have a 28mm F2.8 AIS lens which is pretty wide on full frame, is cheap and very sharp.

3. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    Sigma 15-30 of course, it's FX and a great replacement over their 10-20mm. It is faster lens, especially on FX, so keep in mind that you have to stop down to at least f/5.6 to get great results, but other than that, it's the poor man's 14-24.

4. tfenne

tfenne

Apr 10, 2008
    Cambridge, MA
    Sorry, should have said. I think probably at least 20mm since my 10-20mm on DX would be 15mm equivelant, and I tend to shoot it at the wide end most of the time. Thanks though!

5. tfenne

tfenne

Apr 10, 2008
    Cambridge, MA
    Thank you! The sigma 15-30 looks perfect - I've no idea how I hadn't found this by myself. I've been looking high and low and only really found 20mm primes that seemed to be in the price and performance range. Not sure how I overlooked this one. Thank you so much for the pointer!

I can feel the D700 order getting closer :biggrin:

6. I just sold my Sigma 15-30mm EX and part of me already misses it. I used it on DX with great results (crop put things right in its sweet spot). What I loved most about it was its warm, rich colors. That said, I wasn't using it enough to justify it and consolidated my wide angle and travel-zoom needs into one lens, an 18-200mm.

15-30mm EX's go anywhere from $225 - $275 used on here, around $300 used from KEH, and $375+ new online. If you can pick one up for under $250 it's really a steal, and still a great lens at around $300.

7. tfenne

tfenne

Apr 10, 2008
    Cambridge, MA
    Thanks. Yeah, the 20/2.8 AIS is pretty much what I'd come up with as well. Seems like a good value and reasonably wide. The Sigma 12-14 looks good but is probably a little more than I want to spend. That said, maybe a prime or the Sigma 15-30 now and then the 12-24 later when I've gotten over my upgrade spending.

8. tfenne

tfenne

Apr 10, 2008
    Cambridge, MA
    Thanks Stephen - it's good to hear another vote for the 15-30 since it's in my price range :smile:. I'm going in the opposite direction - I use my Sigma 10-20mm way more than my standard zoom range so I'm probably going to sacrifice my 18-200 to the upgrade. And thanks for the tip on keh - I see they have one in EX condition right now for only $286. Woot!

9. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    how about the Nikon 18-35 ?
    pretty decent performance at F8-11

just a thought

10. gugs

gugs

Feb 24, 2006
    Belgium
  11. tfenne

tfenne

Apr 10, 2008
    Cambridge, MA
    Do you guys not find the distortion distracting at the wide end? I was looking at the Photozone review for the 18-35 and the distortion seems pretty extreme at the wide end - 3% seems like it'd be pretty distracting.

12. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

simple, Sig 15 2.8 diag fish-eye...about $500 brand new...;-)

13. I don't think Tim wanted a fisheye, did you Tim?

14. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    it does have some distortion, yes
    and probably better performance on DX body

I used it like I use my 18-70
    20mm and up

I think for the $$, not a bad deal
    however for my DX use, the 18-70 is just as good, if not better, for even less money

if price wasn't a factor, I would have the 17-35 and call it a day

15. tfenne

tfenne

Apr 10, 2008
    Cambridge, MA
    Right you are! Maybe one day I'll "get" fisheyes. But whenever i look at a fisheye picture I get kinda queasy from all the crazy curves :eek: 

16. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

trust me, i don't care for fish..the images are nothing like the 10.5

17. tfenne

tfenne

Apr 10, 2008
    Cambridge, MA
    I see what you mean now! I went looking for some samples and it's nothing like the 10.5 fisheye samples I've seen posted. There's some curvature but not the crazy-OMG-the-world-is-melting type I've come to associate with fishes. Another one to consider.

Have also been reading a lot of good reviews of the Sigma 12-24 on full-frame. It's a little bit pricey but 12mm on FF. Wow!

18. I had a Sigma 15-30. That lens was freaking sharp. I must of had a darn good copy! Too bad I sold it!

19. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

sigma 20mm 1.8 is a very nice wide for 300 bucks new.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.