Good lens case for 85mm F1.8G

Just bought the 85mm F1.8G and would like a decent padded case from the likes of Lowepro/Tamrac etc to carry it around in, can anyone suggest anything, ideally to take the lens with the lens hood attached

Thanks

Simon

Simon,
Are you looking for a case with the lens attached to the camera or just a lens case? what camera body do you own?

Regards....JL

"Just bought the 85mm F1.8G and would like a decent padded case from the likes of Lowepro/Tamrac etc to carry it around in, can anyone suggest anything, ideally to take the lens with the lens hood attached"

Simon,
Do you mean a bag to take your camera/lens kit out on a day of shooting?
If so a small messenger bag like the Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home is nice. Tamron and LowPro make similar bags.

Lowepro
http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Messe...ment-LP36415/dp/B0077B3E5S/ref=pd_sim_sbs_p_2

Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home -Pricey but very well made.
http://www.amazon.com/Crumpler-Mill...r=1-1&keywords=crumpler+6+million+dollar+home

Either of these bags would even give you a little room to grow with an additional lens or Speedlite.

Good luck! Finding the perfect bag for every situation is hard. I've got 4 bags and use them all.

If you're just looking for a padded bag/pouch for keeping the lens only in your bag, I've picked up a couple of these on Ebay in the Large size for under $2 shipped. Got them in 7-10 days and couldn't be happier.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weatherproo...0?pt=US_Camera_Cases_Bags&hash=item41759323e2

I can put my 24-70 with hood reversed in the large, so you might be able to get away with the small, or medium if you want to keep it with hood in place. It takes up far less space in my bag than the case that comes with the 24-70, and you can't beat $2 shipped.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
sorry, didn't explain it fully.. just want a case for the lens only so that it's safe when I'm carrying it around in my backpack, the soft "bag" that comes with it isn't much use really

Simon

sorry, didn't explain it fully.. just want a case for the lens only so that it's safe when I'm carrying it around in my backpack, the soft "bag" that comes with it isn't much use really

Simon
Are you that rough on your gear? I have never understood the point of a lens case when most/all photo bags already take care of gear just fine.

Thorsten

I use and like these. They come in different sizes. You could throw the lens out of the window in such a case. I also like to carry just a regular backpack, not a padded photo bag, and these small cases come in handy then.

Are you that rough on your gear? I have never understood the point of a lens case when most/all photo bags already take care of gear just fine.
I don't use a traditional photo bag as they're not good for hillwalking/backpacking use, harnesses/strap systems are poor, even the F Stops.

I have a modified Lowe Alpine backpack which takes the body, filters etc in a padded insert but spare lenses I need to carry in the main compartment which doesn't have padding. When scrambling etc I want to provide some protection to the spare lenses rather than run the risk of damaging them so a padded case makes complete sense

Simon

I use and like these. They come in different sizes. You could throw the lens out of the window in such a case. I also like to carry just a regular backpack, not a padded photo bag, and these small cases come in handy then.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll need to check availability to UK togs though

Simon

I have found Think Tank Lens Changer 15 V2.0 to be excellent for 85/1.4G without hood - the hood is just little bit too wide to fit in. I believe 85/1.8G should fit in well with hood, at least hood reversed.

Thanks for the replies... in the end I've decided I'm selling the 85mm and buying the 70-200 F4, I was originally going to keep my old system for travel (Pentax K5) but the D800 is too good to leave at home so I'm adding some telephoto range

Simon

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom