Good lightstands?

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Taylor, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Hey everyone, I'm looking to purchase some stands. There's a Opus kit (7' light stand, flash and umbrella adapter, and 46" umbrella) for about $150. However, I think a 10' stand would be much more useful but heavier and larger.

I might just get this kit for now, and if I find I need the extra height, I can get a 10' stand later and use the 7' for fill.

Do you think a 7' is totally useless? i.e. just got for 2x 10'?

Thanks for any help!

2. My light stands (the cheapies from B&H) are over 9 feet tall and double as C-stands for a 5' x 8' scrim/diffuser. I'm glad I got the taller ones in that regard.

Sean

3. Mine are also 9' or 10' high and many times I need that much.

4. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

That's a great item, Frank! I'm gonna look around in Canada a bit more to see if there is an equivalent item. And I'll have to think about how I'm going to use them. If it's on location, the stand will need a hook for me to weigh it down so the wind doesn't blow it over.

5. There are several ways of securing the stand... sandbags, an assistant, or a hammer. This thread elaborates on the hammer technique:

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=117434

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  6. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Nice kit Frank! I think I'll need to get a separate lighting bag also.

7. pointa-b-c

pointa-b-c

Mar 21, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Mine arrived yesterday, thanks for your recommendation, Frank. Now I also need to find a bag at Big 5 or Sports Chalet. Maybe a decent size softbox and reflectors to complete my kit. :smile:

One question though, it seems difficult to remove the black portion of the umbrella, there's no instruction on them, do you just untie the knots to remove it? Thanks in advance.

8. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Hey Walter, to remove the black cover, unfurl the umbrella, and pull on the very tip, the metal tip. It's designed so that the tip goes over the tips of the white umbrella.

9. pointa-b-c

pointa-b-c

Mar 21, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Thanks, Taylor, I will try it out. :smile: