Good Money Investment!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Larry Gleason, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Boy, taking a mid-morning nap on the living room couch and the wife was out front mowing the grass (well, weeds). That old lawn mower sounds like a boy bear that slipped on the log that crosses a stream. Slipped on the log, not off. You know, log between the hind legs. At any rate, even the neighbor comes over for an attempt to adjust the boy bear. No luck. The boy bear is in perpetual agony. There is no way to take a nap when that thing is screaming in the front yard. Not a problem when she is cutting the weeds in the backyard. Sound doesn't carry to the couch in the front of the house.

Enough was enough. I just got back from Wally World with a brand new bear. I did put the oil in it. Most of it anyway. The wife finished it and gassed it up. She's out front finishing up the weeds. The bear is purring real low.

Now I did ask the wife if she had a bow in the house. She asked, what for? I said that your birthday is in two weeks. Happy Birthday! Took care of two chores in one trip!!

Now back to the couch. Won't be long for the mid-afternoon nap so I need to get this one finished.

2. Lean just a little closer to the screen so I can smack ya one!! *LOL* And they say the South raises gentlemen!!!! LMAO
    PLEASE Larry, tell me this is a joke, PLEASE!!!!!

3. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Sorry, its a true story. In fact, the wife just told the mailman the same thing. He wanted to know how I got away with it (He's thinking. Must be a lesson here).

Southern gentlemen? Maybe they are. I'm native California. Besides, I'll be drawing Social Security before the wife turns 50. So I encourage her getting exercise to stay in shape. I get enough exercise with my shutter finger. Sure don't want to sprain it or get a cramp. I watch CNN and that keeps my blood pressure up.

I believe that I have solved the reason the grave under the mystery stone is so deep (15 foot shaft with a vault at 20 feet if you remember). Some guy probably buried his Mother-in-law there. He's making sure that she can't climb back out. Nothing better than good planning!!

4. Mercy me! *sobbing* Mrs Gleason, we need to talk!!!!! *LOL*

5. What an amateur

When our mower recently got annoying, I just bought the wife one of these. Ah, sweet silence.

[​IMG]

6. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Re: What an amateur

Oh, I thought hard about that. Ya done good. Leather gloves make a good accessory. The $5 (or less) garden variety that is! Got to keep the hands soft for more delicate chores.

7. Ah, there is that. I was hoping she would make her own gloves.

(funny thing is, I really did buy one of those about a month ago. she actually uses it!)

8. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Don't see why not, they are excellent tools for small yards and when kept sharp. At the other end at least there has never been a yelp for one of them riding thigamajigs. Adding womens drivers to the yard doesn't make sense. Especially with all the years they have had in stores with those hand pushed basket carts on wheels. Still can't get it right. And now they give those 300 pound ladies some of those motor bumper cars with a basket up front. At least the weight keeps them from speeding. I was thinking about dropping a banana in front of those at the right time to see what would happen.

9. Larry, surely you jest. In any event it is a funny story. My wife still plays dumb on how to start the mower and up till now she has never had the "pleasure" of walking behind a nicely puring self propelled Honda mower.

10. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    True story!!! The way it works is to pick'em young and immediately start training. The ones that play dumb have learnt too much and are wise to training methods. 99% of the time they have trained their husbands or their husbands are in training (some wives claim that this is a lifetime effort).

11. Larry, I hope you have an airtight pre-nup, or you might find half of your retirement check being directed to your ex-child-bride's new residence... particularly if Sandi gets a chance to talk to her :twisted:.

The other option is even worse. She might stick it out, and pay you back when you can't tend for yourself any longer... not that it appears you have so far 8).

12. Larry you should sell some of your photo equipment to buy a new lawnmower if you don't want "She who must be obeyed" to dump you out.

13. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Not to worry. That is all part of the training!

14. The trick to these things is to go with a person's natural tendencies.

If they think it was their idea, peace will be maintained.

15. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    But, but, but.... I did buy her a brand new lawnmower on Saturday. That was the whole point of this thread and a good money investment. The new mower runs quiet compared to the old one and the new one didn't disrupt my nap while the wife was mowing the front yard.

16. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Training technique that works every time!!!

17. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    I'd leave it alone but I'm concerned about this "No, that is my job" thinking. When my wife gets home from work everyday she immediately sits down to a home cooked dinner. Some of the dishes take me anywhere from 2-5 hours of preparation and slow cooking. No one says no, that is my job.

18. Larry, you don't need to worry about an air-tight pre-nup. You DO need to worry when she rents a jackhammer, and buys a few bags of readymix and spends too much time in the basement measuring the floor.

19. I agree, Larry, but the customary division of chores isn't arbitrary... it's based on a recognition of anatomical differences. Men generally pack more muscle mass than woman, and are better suited for physical labor, which leaves the ladies more time for things like cooking. In your case, since you're married to a much younger person, it makes sense that she take on more of the manual labor as your physical condition declines, but your liberated stance is belied by the stereotypes you've peppered this thread with, such as...

Best I can figure, you're either trying out a new routine to replace Don Rickles, in which case I'd suggest you toss in some smilies, or you're dead bent on giving us old guys a bad name.

PS: My wife works, too. I mow the lawn, and I also clean the kitchen... but I draw the line at vacuuming 8).

20. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    See, guys!!! We got two ladies here in serial posts that have different and distinct views. And you say, so what's new?

I realize that the wife worships the ground that I walk on but I didn't realize that perhaps she was going to limit the amount of ground that I could cover. That jackhammer would ruin one of my power naps. Besides, we don't have a basement. Ha, ha!