Good monopod technique?

Discussion in 'Tripods, Ball Heads, and Gimbals' started by Gordon Large, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

I just got a Gitzo G1588 set up with the Bogen 3232 swivel and a RRS Pro Clamp. The folks at Really Right Stuff were, as usual, very helpful and even sent the gear set up and ready to go at no extra cost.

Can anyone recomment a good source of info on the Web for good monopod techique? I'm talking about everything from the best way to mount the camera or lens without dropping it to the proper way to hold and stabilize the whole kit. I'll be using a D2x with 70-200VR, 300/4 or 200-400VR. I know the Bogen swivel is not rated for the weight of the 200-400VR, but the RRS folks said it can handle the lens and I've seen posts here from people who have used the Bogen with this lens. Any comments?

RRS's very short description says to shoot at least at 1/500, but I think it was written before VR. Am I right that you can get good results at 1/250 or even 1/125?

Thanks,
    Gordon

I

2. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
  3. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Robert. That's a very useful article, and it looks like a good site too!

Gordon

4. Gordon,

I know that there is a lot of difference in weight between 200-400 vs. 400 f/2.8 but instead of mounting swivel head, I attached 400mm directly to monopod. Worked like a charm.

Good luck with your setup !

5. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Jay. I think I'm going to give the swivel head a try - very carefully - and see how it works out. I'm hoping RRS and some other forum members are right!

Gordon

6. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    Gordon, maybe I'm missing something, but isn't the swivel head so you can turn from horizontal to vertical orientation? If this is the case, why not just attach the lens directly to the monopod and loosen the tripod collar? Then you can rotate camera and lens within that.

7. marc

marc Guest

i read your question on monopod

the monopod is a great tool, you really ned to remember always that, the monopod does not give you a steady movement free platform.

what it does is give you a platform to hold the weight of the lens and body.
    while the mono will certainly give you some steady shooting platform, the mono also can make shooting more difficult.

the way i use a mono is to mount lens directly to mono or use a head that has good friction, but only requires one hand to operate.

like a manfrotto, trigger grip ball head. for long lens, place your left hand on top of lens, to steady the weight and movement of pod, in windy conditions.
    focus and shoot.

pods are great if you remeber it is on one leg and only is a steady as the person suporting the pod and the camera + lens

i use the pod often

good shooting :smile: :wink: :cool:

8. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Mike -

The swivel is designed so you can shoot something low on the ground or a bird flying high without moving the monopod. You are right that the tripod color is used for changing orientation.

Gordon

9. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Marc. That's just the kind of advice I'm looking for. I intend to shoot in some places where maneuvering a tripod is impossible, so I expect to use the mono quite a bit too. The VR on my lenses should help a bit, and another piece of advice I've gotten is to shoot at high shutter speeds when possible.

Thanks again,
    Gordon

10. marc

marc Guest

glad my info was helpful
    hi shutter speed is really not that important, it will help with movement in photo, but not really important

mono is terrific for what it is made for holding weight of camera and lens, it takes that part of picture taking out of the equation

makes shooting easier and steadier, and does not require any amout of room

also easy to carry camera and lens on mono

good shooting