Good opportunity ?? How ??

Our homeowners association sent out an invitation/request for photographers who live there, to take 'high quality' pictures of the homes, facilities and grounds around our 2500 acre , 6500 home neighborhood.
The initial requirments are this:

The Board is looking for residents who are willing to take photographs of facilities, landscaping, and homes throughout the community. We’d use these pictures on our website and in new marketing material that the Board is putting together to provide to potential homebuyers in Cascades.

I guess I should go ahead and give it a try, just to get some of that type of experience and possibly get to see my name in print somewhere.
Does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing ?
I'm wondering what kind of shots they would be interested in. Know of any good places where I might see marketing material like this to give me ideas ?

I guess this would be a job mostly for the 24-70mm lens mostly ??

Also I guess I have to decide if I am going to process my pictures with some filters to my liking or do as little processing as possible ( just slightly adjust the contrast type thing ), as you would do for a stock photo type place.

I know, it's not rocket science or anything but I would like to use the opportunity to grow a bit and not just spin wheels if possible.

Thanks for any advice.

Appreciate it.

Floyd

How much will you be paid? Or are they looking for free (slave wages) photos?

Sorry, I thought I put that. I guess I didn't. This is slave labor.
Here are some more words from the response:

If your photos are chosen, we would give you full credit.

Well, it's up to you if you want to do it.

Personally, I would ask that they waive 1 HOA payment for my service. Digital isn't free and you'll be using your personal time to do it.

You can have your photos viewed and receive full credit here on Nikon Cafe, I suggest you make the photos and post them here and skip the "work for free so we don't have to" pseudo contest :)

You can have your photos viewed and receive full credit here on Nikon Cafe, I suggest you make the photos and post them here and skip the "work for free so we don't have to" pseudo contest :)

When you guys put it that way, it does make them sound super cheap. I guess if I were young and was willing to scramble around in order to get my pictures noticed and 'move up' in the photography world somehow, that would be one thing.
But who am I kidding anyway. Anyone who looks at any marketing material put out by my homeowner association probably won't give a hoot about who the photographer of a shot is. Maybe they'll figure the photos were taken from stock or something.

Real Name
Michael
Another scheme by another company to get free photo work. Why do they expect people to do their work for free? I don't care for these "contests" and "exhibitions" just on principle and don't support them. Let the company hire a photographer to do the job.

If you were a CPA would you be doing their books just for the glory of it and some "credit"? Would you be wiring their new builds or doing plumbing repairs for free just for the glory of being given "credit".

I understand you're not a professional photographer (nor am I) and I would feel quite differently if this were for some charity or other good cause. But for a commercial enterprise for marketing and sales......why?

This video sums it up rather well. Just substitute "photographer" for "writer".

My local BIA (business improvement association) in this historical part of Toronto asked me to take photos of all the commercial buildings here... gratis, if course. My reply: Sure, as long as I get an ad in the BIA newsletter.... gratis, of course. No deal ----> no pics. That one got laid to rest quite quickly. If you don't value your work, who will?

I had no idea.
That guy cracks me up though !!!
He did imply he would consider it if he thought there was publicity value. In my case I would be probably amiss to think there is any name recognition value in such a thing.

Any other points of view on this ?

I wonder if some day some high profile fashion mag will offer to let aspiring photographers come shoot some of thier models for free, and even get credit for the image if printed in the magazine.

I wouldnt do it. No way, they are trying to take the cheap route and get some weekend warriors to do the job of a pro for free, photo credit does not pay bills, they dont know what a good photo is, your images would be buried in the mediocrity of the other peoples photos, and i would be extremely skeptical that it would ever bring you in more work.

then again, i AM a bit biased because i absolutely despise HOA's and refuse to live in an area with one. There is no HOA in my neighborhood, all the houses look good, lawns are kept, and i dont have somebody telling me what i can or can not do with property that i paid for. lol.

Note,

There would be nothing wrong on the other hand of taking time to produce good work, then put those out there against all the crappy ones your non-photographer neighbors took, let them see the difference in quality, and give them an opportunity to negotiate a deal for your work.

Maybe if they see the stream of garbage coming in from the point and shoot happy snappers who never learn thier equipment, then see your work, they may decide there is value in quality work after all

Well Ed, thanks for the vote of confidence. It could be that my work would stand out against some, but after having been in the photo community for even a little while I realize there are a ton of really good photos out there compared with mine.
Anyway, as far as HOA's go, yup I hear ya. I can't avoid it though. Here in Northern Va pretty much everything is governed by some HOA. If I wanted to commute 1.5 or more hours each way every day I can move out far enough to avoid HOA's but even that is getting harder.

I don't even get why they want to advertise. I don't see any empty houses in my neighborhood. They are full to capacity. Don't make sense really.

Better than asking them to waive an HOA payment fee (I managed HOA's for a while after college... if the board is anything like the boards I worked with, their pocketbooks are SEALED), ask them to put your website/email at the bottom of the mailer/website, noting that you are a photographer who resides in the HOA community specializing in family/children/weddings/engagements/automotive/whatever.

Could be a lucrative "free" job.

Sometimes the free jobs make you the most money.

Personally, I'm amazed at the hostility of some of the responses to your post.

I'm not on the board of our HOA, nor have I ever been active in the organization, but I have provided my photographic services when asked, free of charge, willingly and gladly. I'm strictly an amateur, with no aspirations at my age and stage in my career, of becoming a professional photographer.

Why did I provide my services free of charge? A couple of reasons: first, and to me foremost, it gave me an opportunity to develop my skills in architectural photograpy, something I'm interested in. Second, I live in this community, and anything I can do to enhance it's image, I will.

Now, as to your questions about photography, I used several lenses, depending upon the location, and whether it was indoor or outdoor. For indoor, depending upon the time and lighting conditions when you shoot, you may want to consider some off-camera flash, or even studio lights. All of my outdoor shoots were taken in the "golden hour", morning or evening, depending upon the weather and time of year.

BTW, I can't show you any of the images because they don't belong to me; they belong to the HOA.

Generally, I'm against doing photography (or any work, for that matter) for free.

But, I see another side to this particular issue. The board members of MY HOA are not paid for their time. It is a voluntary position. People do it, because they are concerned about maintaining certain standards, and home values in our neighborhood. So, at least in my case, the HOA board members would not be asking anyone to do anything, that they are not doing themselves. They are simply looking for volunteers who are willing to donate their time, for the benefit of the neighborhood. It doesn't seem any different than asking for volunteers to help beautify the neighborhood, by going out and cleaning up trash on the streets. The payoff, is a nicer place to live, and a better return on your investment (house).

To me, this is not the same as some magazine or newspaper asking for free photos.

If your photos are chosen, we would give you full credit.

No one reads the photo credits except photographers and, in any case, it's not a favour they're doing to you by giving you credit to your work by any stretch of the imagination: it's MANDATORY!

Please, don't work and be used for free. :frown:

Real Name
Michael
OT

......then again, i AM a bit biased because i absolutely despise HOA's and refuse to live in an area with one. There is no HOA in my neighborhood, all the houses look good, lawns are kept, and i dont have somebody telling me what i can or can not do with property that i paid for. lol.......

Amen, kindred soul.

I wouldn't do it, or encourage this kind of practice. If they hired a commercial photographer, their bill would be a few thousand dollars depending on the size of the project, the intended distribution, size and number of images, exclusive or non-exclusive rights, etc... by doing this they are denying a professional work, and taking advantage of an amateur.

This is the exact same thing as news groups and agencies running photo contests and getting thousands of submissions which they can use as file photos down the road. A grand prize of a camera or trip is peanuts compared to the royalties saved in having to pay for rights to use an image (which are signed away upon entry of the contest)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom