Good P & S recommendations?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by BK1, May 25, 2007.

1. BK1

BK1

Jan 25, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'm looking for some recommendations for a decent P & S to carry around when my D50 w/18-200 VR is too cumbersome.

So far I've narrowed it down to a Fuji F30, F31d or F40d - or the Sony DSC-N2.

My concern with the F30 or F31d is the slow XD card write speed - but would that really affect me much on normal old shooting of family outings at the amusement park and such?

The F40d seems nice since it has the SD card slot now too - but it sounds like it has a lot more noise in the shots than the F30/F31d.

The Sony DSC-N2 seems like a nice small size - and the touch screen LCD is very cool - but I'm reading about soft edges on the shots.

Can anyone with one of these cameras give me their input on them - or can anyone make any other recommendations/sugggestions?

Thanks.

2. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    How about a D40S with a lightweight lens? If you haven't actually seen a D40S, it is hard to believe how small it really is! I tried several P&S - all Nikon. They were so s l o w in focusing, I missed the shot most of the time.

3. I'm considering the F31 and F40 as well. I need something that does fairly good video as well for the new baby coming in about 5 or 6 weeks and dont want a camera and a camcorder... :rolleyes:

4. canon G7....

5. Actually the G7 is on my list as well... :wink: any experiences with it first hand?

6. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    I have the f31 to compliment my Nikon equipment. I find the image quality to be very good and the color similar to Nikon color.
    Mike

7. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    Thinking about the Fuji F20, it's suppose to be closer to the F03/31 than the F40 for image quality, just fewer functions.

8. I'll try and post a shot or 2 for ya this weekend!

9. BK1

BK1

Jan 25, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I just picked up a Fuji F40 at Costco last night - I'll try to post my thoughts in a day or so. So far so good though.

10. This is exactly what I did after experiencing frustration with my last P&S camera. I bought the D40 with kit lens, was surprised at the decent IQ of that kit lens, and then eventually bought the 55-200mm VR to go along with it. I also could have simply stuck my 18-200mm VR on there, too. I waited several months before I could FINALLY get my hands on the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 so I'd have a fast prime to use on there, too. I carry them all everywhere in my Domke satchel bag, which I use as a sort of "purse." Pocketable? No, but I can get some darned nice images, and with that fast lens, photos which I otherwise could not with a P&S.

11. Here ya go..right out of the camera,factory settings...no PP[​IMG]

12. Here's another...no PP p1016181136-4.

13. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Very intelligent choice!

14. OK,one more...no PP[​IMG]

15. BK1

BK1

Jan 25, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Here are a couple shots my wife snapped with the new F40d this morning. They certainly aren't up to G7 standards (or DSLR standards obviously - but for a tiny little p & s they aren't too bad). Full auto mode - nothing special - no pp. I'm still a bit unsure of why the flash fails to fire in some instances (like the last one for example) - but overall I'm fairly happy with it. I've looked at a D40x (and the G7 and similar) but they're all just too large for me. I really just wanted something that I can slip into my pocket - or con the wife into slipping into her purse or diaper bag - and the F40d seems to fit the bill so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2007
  16. THanks for all the posts with photos. The G7 looks nice but still not sure what to do... I went to a local store Sunday afternoon that had both and like the G7 but wonder if something smaller wouldn't be better with the ability to slip it in a pocket. Enter the f31 and f40 which had surprisingly good build quality but I dont like the idea of XD memory cards... the saga continues...

17. BK1

BK1

Jan 25, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    The F40 takes both XD and SD cards - which is why I opted for it. Costco has it on sale now for $249 if you are near one.

18. I might have gone with the F40 myself, especially since you say it takes both XD and SD. I bought a Canon SD600 in January. At the time I was dead-set against using LCD as a viewfinder, and the only reasonably tiny P&S I could find that did everything I wanted was the SD600. I use the viewfinder, but honestly I've probably used the LCD 75% of the time so it was probably a non-issue.

If anyone else is comparing images of the different cameras they can see a bunch from my SD600 in this gallery. Its been a pretty good camera, IQ is good except for some corner softness. The first month I owned it the thing flew out of my pocket riding in a golf cart down a road in the Dominican Republic. It hit the pavement hard (I didn't feel it slip, I heard it hit) and slid quite a ways. End result was some marring on a corner, and some scratches on a button on the camera.

19. mematsu

mematsu

May 2, 2007
    los angeles
    F20

Good camera. Great price.