Good perspective from FStoppers

Real Name
Dan
Nice take on the situation. I can relate to the writer. I started with Nikon because I liked the ergonomics best. Which has a lot to do with the equipment not getting in the way of shooting. I've never seriously considered switching from Nikon to another brand. But considering going to mirrorless levels the playing field. By definition the ergonomics are different. And by going with the Z mount Nikon forced us to us an adapter with our existing lenses. So making a decision on mirrorless is like starting over from scratch.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Good article. Sorta describes experiences with Nikon. I have always been able to count on the performance of the bodies and lenses I have used. The biggest variable to getting a nice image continues to be ME! Not the gear. The gear is far more capable and consistent than me. I am the make or break piece in the puzzle of creating a compelling image.

However, IF I continue to shoot wildlife and IF I decide to go mirrorless, I will make my gear decision as I always have.....performance. If Nikon performance re: AF acquisition and tracking is comparable to Canon or Sony, I'll stay Nikon. If not.......................

Well written article that (as a long-time Nikon shooter) I found myself nodding in agreement with as I read. Except the part about Fuji - I can't say that I ever worried about what others think about my camera's appearance or its coolness factor. :) Nikon works for me. I like them, I like the menu organization, the way they fit my hands, the way it feels when held to my eye, the images they produce. I'm accustomed to the viewfinders and to me, canons have everything backward. Sony scares me because Sony has a history of developing products and then simply abandoning them and moving on to the next big thing. My Nikons always work, and when a shot is screwed up it is usually not the camera's fault. Is there a better brand out there? Maybe. I don't know.

I try not to get too caught up in chasing the latest and greatest. My experience is the big boys leap frog each other and drag all of the smaller producers along. Nikon may not lead in all areas today. But they sure are close, and I'll bet a diet coke that they will lead in the next iteration or the one after that. It is the way these things go.

I have yet to make up my mind about mirrorless cameras at all, let alone which brand. I don't doubt they are the future. For some. Maybe all of us, one day. However, I can't help but think back to all the big changes over time. I can remember when megapixels jumped from 6MB to 12MB. People used to make billboards from those files, and I bet it wouldn't be too hard to search back and find posts where members said 12MB sensors were all you'd ever need. Now those same folks call for 60MB. Then it was frames per second. Then how many milliseconds for your auto-focus. It never ends. Today it is mirrorless. If it's mirrorless it must be better, right? Right? Maybe. I don't know.

So for now I will stick with what makes me comfortable, with what works (for me). I'll let mirrorless mature, until it actually meets my needs and does it better than anything I have now. I'll let other brands lead in this measurement or that measurement, and not rush to judgement. Others can complain that the sky is falling and Nikon is doomed and hurry, hurry get brand "X". For me, I am home, with Nikon. For me it just works.

Am I right to stay with Nikon? Maybe. I don't know. But Nikon is where you'll find me. It just works.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom