"Good" price for a used SB-800?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by BostonRott, May 14, 2007.

1. I've seen lots of used SB-800's for sale lately. Some on forums, some on craig's list. What would you consider a good price for one in decent condition? I recently saw $250 and thought that was pretty good.

Thanks! :smile:

2. I guess it depends on what is included still and what not. 250 US is not a bad price at all, they go for about 75% more up here new. I haven't seen one that cheap used here.

3. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    $250 sounds good to me. I looked here and elsewhere and used were selling within $10 or so of new. I bought mine from buydig.com for $309 shipepd, but I saw last week they were down to $305 shipped.

4. Thank you guys! I'll just have to keep an eye out. I almost pounced on that one, but wasn't sure if it was really a good deal or not. :smile:

5. Eekjem has one for sale for 285$ right here on the Cafe.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  6. Merci Francois!

7. You're welcome!

8. remember that these flashes have a finite lifetime (number of flashes)... so i would recommend new unless you know that the flash had minor use.

9. genehsu

genehsu

Apr 15, 2007
    Seattle
    All right. I'll bite. What is the lifetime for flashes? This is the first time I've heard about that.

10. I never knew that.

11. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

12. You guys are just a wealth of knowledge!!!

Ok, I'll find a new one. :smile:

Thank you!! :biggrin:

13. genehsu

genehsu

Apr 15, 2007
    Seattle
    Obviously I haven't really read my SB-800 manual. I learn something new every day, which is a good thing. I looked up (on wikipedia, that repository of all knowledge :wink:) what electronic flash photography generally uses, and whaddya know, electric arc through xenon gas. That makes sense about occasional recalibration and replacement.

14. D2XDeb

D2XDeb

Oct 21, 2005
    Manhattan USA
    I personally think people ask too much for used equipment. If the SB800 is $315 new, I wouldn't pay $250 for a used one-I'd spring the extra $85 for a brand new one with warranty.
    Same goes for a camera. I see so many people selling their D200's for $1100-1300. To me, that's not a bargain (a bargain was the one I sold-with a grip, low shutter actuations, exc 24-120 AF lens all for $1200 last year)

15. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    When they quit flashing, you will know they are used up and it's reached capacity, lol. Actually, I bet it's quite high. I used a Minolta flash many many times years ago, and it never quit on me. Still works.

Deb, that's great if it's not your equipment and you are buying, but as I recall, someone I know priced their D2X pretty strong, and with tons of actuations. I think we should practice what we preach anyway.

But if you can save 200 on 4 lenses, you've saved enough for a lens.

16. D2XDeb

D2XDeb

Oct 21, 2005
    Manhattan USA
    Doug,
    I priced my high actuation D2X at the price I see here in NYC, and the price people were buying it at-from individuals, not stores. (by the way, I kept it-I like it better than the D2Xs I bought).
    Before I bought the D2Xs I was looking for a used D2X and I would have paid that had I found one, but there were none to be found
    The prices NOW on the D2X have dramatically dropped.

17. laawaaris

laawaaris Guest

i think $250 is a dream price !!!