1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Good quality light stand recom?

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by Red Bicycle, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Red Bicycle

Red Bicycle

May 13, 2008
    Australia
    Hi

I would like a portable quality light stand for a 30" softbox. I am looking for a minimum of 2.5m of height, good stability for outside/windy environments and possibly even the ability to use it for overhead lighting (some sort of boom feature?). Price up to say $US250. All suggestions gratefully received!

If you also have a suggestion for a swivel mount 3/8" or 1/4" that would be helpful.

Kind Regards

Michael

2. You want a C-Stand with a 40" arm and grip head. If you need a larger boom I recommend the Avender D600. For the stand the avenger http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...030DCBKIT_AVA2030DCB_Turtle_Base_Century.html is as solid as it gets.

I also have these for studio use http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/104601-REG/Avenger_A5033_A5033_Folding_Base_Wheeled.html The wheels make life a lot easier. If you want a more traditional stand this is perfect http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/184625-REG/Avenger_A470_A470_Baby_Combi_Boom_Steel.html

3. Red Bicycle

Red Bicycle

May 13, 2008
    Australia
    Thanks Hecky

Is a grip head a rotating head that will allow overhead lighting? the Avenger baby-combi looks about right.

Regards

Michael

4. fjgindy

fjgindy

Jan 21, 2007
    Indianapolis
  5. A grip head and arm is typically used for holding things like scrims and gobos but the arm is very heavy duty and can easily support a light head and modifier as a short boom. Yes it will rotate and tilt in many directions. You can hang a sand bag off the back of the arm. The other advantage of a grip arm is when you have a large sofbox like a big Octa that you can't tilt because it will hit the stand. The grip arm will let you put it a foot so out so you can tilt the modifer. But if you need longer than 40" like for a long hair light you would be better off with the Combi-Boom stand or a separate boom like the Avenger D600. Do not scrimp on the boom or sand bags unless you want somene wearing a strobe head some day.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2009
  6. Red Bicycle

Red Bicycle

May 13, 2008
    Australia
    Thanks guys

is Avenger part of Manfrotto/Bogen? if not is there an equivalent Manfrotto you would recommend?

At this stage the lightbox is relatively lightweight being the Lightware FourSquare with 4 SB-800's attached.

Cheers

Michael

7. OCIR

OCIR

Mar 24, 2009
    MD
    Wow, the lightstands you guys mentioned are expensive. The most I have paid on a lightstand it $40. lol!

8. Red Bicycle

Red Bicycle

May 13, 2008
    Australia
    OK $40, But does it fill my requirements?

Cheers

Michael

9. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I highly recommend a C-stand for outdoor use. They accommodate uneven ground well and are much sturdier than most 'regular' light stands. The Avenger stuff is very strong and well made.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.