Good sensor cleaner?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by kgilby, Aug 29, 2008.

1. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago
    I have never cleaned a sensor before, and my D300 has 3 or 4 spots that won't come clean using a rocket blower. The guy at the camera store recommended 'Sensor Swabs', and the technique seems reasonable. Does anyone have experience with that or another way to get the job done? Any reason for me not to try this on my own?
    Thanks,
    Ken

2. adaml

adaml

Feb 21, 2006
    chicago
    I've never had much success with the rocket blower technique; it doesn't work on sticky dust, and it just seems to blow loose dust into the corners.

I have used Sensor Swabs and Eclipse since I got into digital with good success. Just follow the directions and you should be fine. Don't be surprised if you have to do it a few times before you get the sensor clean.

Be sure to use the Eclipse E2 fluid for your D300.

Good Luck!

3. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago
    Thanks Adam. Is the Eclipse fluid the one that comes with the Sensor Swab kit?

Ken

4. Ken -

I agree with Adam - Eclipse is the way to go (and yes, it is the brand with the sensor swabs).

It might take a few swipes, but take your time, read the instructions through first, and don't fret - it will be fine.

Eric

5. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago
    Thanks Eric. I did read the instructions on the box while in the store, and it sounds pretty straight forward - 2 swipes per swab, the 2nd perpendicular to the 1st. The instructions say to use a new swab after every 2 swipes, but the counter guy said as long as you don't let the swab dry, you can continue with the same swab. What's your experience?

Ken

6. Just make sure you get the Eclipse solution appropriate for your camera model.

7. Ken -

I'm probably overly careful, but I did use a new swab each time my cleaning wasn't successful. I figured that the cam was worth much more than the cost of another go at it.

Eruc

8. I've always used speck-grabber wands with a lot of success. The one time I used a wet-method it just streaked and I had to use the speck-grabber to get rid of the mess. I'm sure I screwed up the technique, but the wands work so I stick with it.

I have a tidbit on them on my website

9. heydale

heydale

Oct 5, 2007
    Maine
    Everyone who has not purchased a sensor scope of some kind needs to. It will save you a fortune in both swabs and time not to mention relieving unbelievable levels of anxiety.

I bought the delkin, NOT the kit! and the visible dust unit is now similarly pricedi.
    No more "blind" cleaning.
    You get to see the crap and remove it. you can use a swab for a couple swipes without fear of contamination.

Oh, and yes, eclipse and sensor swabs are what I have use for 3 years with great success.

dale

10. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago
    Thanks Ray and Eric...

Good point Eric, why take unnecessary chances?

11. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago
    Thanks Scott, I'll have to take a look at those, too.

Ken

12. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago
    Thanks Dale. I've not heard of a sensor scope. Are they made just for this purpose, or is it similar to a loupe? It does make sense to clean what you can see.

13. heydale

heydale

Oct 5, 2007
    Maine
  14. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.