Good thread from pros

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by biggstr6, Aug 3, 2007.

1. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
  2. GoGo

GoGo

Apr 20, 2006
    New York
    I read this, this afternoon

Anyone who is thinking of getting into the arena of sports photography needs to read this NOW

3. Definitely worth the read, and the implementation.

4. Good read, Only really states what I already surmised about the industry and the affordability and accessability of new Camera's. Its no real suprise now I suppose, but its killing the pro's profits. I should do a research paper on the effects of digital camera's on the photography business! (Economics is my Major, it should be pretty much in line with a lot of my courses!)

Hell I could have been one of those New up and comers cheapening the industry - considering how Easy I got into Sports photography, A couple grand later anyone can pretend they are professional and get passable pictures to pass on to the newspapers and magazines.

However I myself decided not to try to compete with the thousands of other photographers out there shooting, I take pictures for fun, and sell prints at the one Local (non competitive and thouroughly ignored) Motocross track out here. I don't make money, And I don't expect to. Though I never give my pictures away for free either (except low res high compression jpg's).

Rant over haha, I like how cheap camera's are, But the externalities it imposes on others are not always good. Piracy of data is always a problem, Photography gets hit about the same way the music, game and movie industry does!

5. targa912

targa912 Guest

Some things never change!

I started with weddings many years ago. Back then the only way to use flash effectivly was with guides numbers!! And almost all cameras were manual exposure. I also worked for a lab during the week so the profits really rolled in. Then came auto exposure cameras and strobes. Everyone was an instant photographer. Then came one hour photo labs! Everyone could get inexpensive proofs. So I took the easy way out and stuck to the lab work. Then several different types of businesses. Now I'm getting into digital for some fun and some profit. Personally I think photography is much easier. We don't have to wait until we see if something has gone wrong with our shots or did the lab screw things up. But I think if you are looking to make money in photography the key is marketing instead of photo skills. For me, at this stage of my life, I am shooting things I like and if I can make some money at it all the better. I'd hate to be starting over to make a living! It's a tough business!! IMHO.

Bob W.