GOOD, trustworthy camera/electronics equipment dealers

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by hahnphoto, Jun 13, 2007.

1. hahnphoto

hahnphoto

May 21, 2007
    Maryland
    I thought it would be good if we got together and also shared some of the GOOD, trustworthy camera/electronics dealers that we have done business with. Especially in light of the current Nikon equipment shortage, we are all always looking for good alternative businesses to use in time of need!

I'd be open to sharing internet dealers, as well as local stores (most local stores will also ship nowadays!)

To start us off, here are a few on my list to use and trust:

B&H
    Norman Camera
    Adorama
    J&R
    Samys Camera
    Video Direct

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2007
  2. DBrim

DBrim

May 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Buydig deserves to be on this list, too :smile:

3. For used equipment, I've not heard of a place with a more pristine reputation than KEH

4. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    B&H
    Adorama
    Cameta Camera
    Buydig/Beach
    DigitalPhotoClub
    The Filter Connection
    KEH
    One Call (I see them on the bad guy list but I have had good luck with them)

5. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas

I have also heard of people getting good deals on new equipment from KEH.

6. I will also point out that they give you a 6mos guarantee on used equipment and willingly/easily repaired my 35/2 that had a part fall off RIGHT at 6mos. All done for free. :smile:

7. randyr5

randyr5

Jan 14, 2006
    Michigan
    Canoga Camera is another one

8. imageswest

imageswest Guest

They also screw people from time to time... they certainly would NOT make my "GOOD" list.

9. hahnphoto

hahnphoto

May 21, 2007
    Maryland
    Does anyone know any dealers that will do PRICE MATCHING?

10. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Every dealer on the face of the earth makes mistakes. Did they "screw" you, or is this a generalization? I have never heard of anyone who had a bad experience with them not having it handled to their satisfaction.

11. I live in ATL so I just order and pick up from them. Very knowledgeable and helpful sales people and quality items. Great return policy too on used/new items so if you aren't satisfied with the condition, just return it.

12. hahnphoto

hahnphoto

May 21, 2007
    Maryland
    Cope- I agree. I even had a bad experience with adorama once and almost didn't shop there again, but after thinking it over I figured it was a pretty isolated incident. Overall I think they are a reputable store, as I figure KEH probably is.

13. Ace Photo, Ashburn, VA - 703-431-3333

14. Most of my glass and my D2h was purchsed from Service Photo - a local shop in Baltimore, Maryland.

http://www.servicephoto.com
    Cheers

15. In my local area:

Penn Camera
    Ace Photo
    Photocraft (online: ePhotocraft.com)

When none of them has something, that's when I head to B&H online... I really prefer to shop locally and keep brick-and-mortar merchants in business.

16. I can only describe my experience, which is approximately 20 orders over 4 years. I've bought all sorts of stuff from them from new and used cameras to lenses, filters, remotes, motor drives, film, lens caps... At this point I've had several things go bad, but in every case things have been set right with at most a delay in time. I've NEVER had any problem getting what I wanted from them for the price they originally agreed to. The only time I paid more than the original invoice was the one time I decided I would rather have an EX item instead of the BGN one I ordered, and the only additional money was the price difference between the items. Note that this means that I didn't even pay any additional shipping, although I would gladly have done that in this case.

17. Brian-S

Brian-S

Feb 10, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Is IBMEGA still in business? When I click on their website it give me an error.

Brian

18. hahnphoto

hahnphoto

May 21, 2007
    Maryland
    IBMEGA is out of business... just noticed

19. hahnphoto

hahnphoto

May 21, 2007
    Maryland
    This thread has been really useful, thanks all! I've found some great stores that are "new" to me. I've already made a few purchases :)

20. richinnj

richinnj Guest

I've bought from the following retailers with the BEST results -
    B&H
    Norman Camera
    Cameta Camera
    17th Street Photo (NYC)

I think 17th St. catches a lot of flack from another
    retailer with a similar sounding street name. NOT THE SAME STORE!!!